I need to vent! Please hear me out?

GRRRRRRRRR

I have a new next-door neighbor who is...well, how do I put it nicely...not the sharpest tool in the shed. She "forgot" where her apt was, and my boyfriend saw her trying to open up someone else's front door with her key. Then she tried opening MY front door! He had to call the landlord for her. She says she hopes she won't forget where she leaves her LIT cigarettes!! WHY WHY WHY do I get neighbors like this?? That's the last thing I need to worry about-the whole damn building going up in flames becase she forgot where she put her cig!! Is there anything I can do? I have an 11 month old baby. Now I have worry that we'll both go up in flames while we sleep at night?

I can't take this stress!!!

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 9:17 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Talk to the landlord about it. Get her a pretty thing to hang on her door so she knows which is hers. If she really can't take care of herself, or is in danger of burning herself up, then maybe someone should find her some help--relatives, or something. Don't wait until something bad happens.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 2:23 AM on May. 30, 2009

• OMG some people should be locked away for ever. LOL I hope for your sake she forgets to pay rent and is evicted LMAO.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 9:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• smoke detectors in every room of the house! (and at least one CO2 detector as well!). I've lived next to some interesting characters as well...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I can't think of anything you can do. I understand your concern, I'd be concerned, too.

Answer by Bmat at 9:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Mythicmom made an excellent suggestion, Install more smoke detectors!

Answer by Bmat at 9:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Wow!!! Does she maybe have a mental problem... like a real mental problem? I would definately install smoke and CO2 Detectors!!! Good luck. Hopefully she doesn't have any children!!!
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 9:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Talk to the landlord. There is something he can do about it. He has an interest in protecting his property and other tenants. Check your Tenant Landlord Act for your state. See if his liability extends to tenants he knows are a detriment to other tenants. I threatened to sue my Condo Association over a tenant like that and they evicted him. My life is important to me if to no one else.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Oh come on people... how many times have you accidently opened or tried to open someone else's car door in a parking lot? I've done it countless times (heck I loaded my kids up in someone else's vehicle one day till I noticed that the car seat wasn't in there where I left it lol
    A lot of those apartments doors all look alike...same color, same everything... if it was on the same wall, I couldn't swear I wouldn't do it when I first moved there either. I am hoping that the lit ciggy thing was a joke. Is she older? Could be beginnings of alzheimers or could be that she's a bad diabetic (memory isn't too good and easily confused sometimes due to dizziness etc). I'd talk to the woman and mention the ciggy thing and ask if she's ill to make her forget or something and then offer to check on her or something. Could be that she was just joking and the doors all look alike.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• You aren't sounding very nice. It really sounds like she has a mental health issue and is not doing it on purpose or out of stupidity. I don't know many people that forget where they live unless there is a major problem. If she is older, she could have the beginnings of dementia or Alzeheimers. Don't judge until you know the entire story.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Talk to the landlord to address your concerns and just keep an eye on the neighbor. Get to know them, you might learn something that can help you in the future. Definitly get lots of smoke detectors and a CO2 detector, you can usually get those free from the fire departments. Just keep a watchful eye.
    nursegirl1115

Answer by nursegirl1115 at 1:37 AM on May. 30, 2009