Was your baby born with a hernia?

If so, how long did it take for it to go away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest had one in his belly button. Oh it freaked me out. Our ped said it would go away on its own, but I didn't believe him.lol I kept worrying about it and then one day at about seven and a half months it was gone.
    Our ped said that as they start moving around and using their abs more while crawling and walking they tend to close up. He did say if he still had it by a year then we could discuss what treatments there were for it. I would just mention it to your ped.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Mine was and it was gone by about 8months
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 10:11 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Do you think I need to be worried since my daughter is going to be a year next month and still has hers? I am planning on asking the doctor when we go in for her year check-up, but I thought I would ask on here now.
    Anonymous

• My little girl was born with a herniated umbelical stump. Our pedi told us the same thing as Nathskitten. She said it normally goes away on its own, but by the age of 3 or 4 the operate if it is still there. She is only 5months old right now, so I can't tell you how long it took to heal yet.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My baby was born with one and still has it at 20 months. I dont believe it would magically disappear now as I once believed. She will have surgery to fix it when she turns 5.
    Anonymous

• She was born with a very tiny umbilical hernia which is very common and it closed up by 5 months.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:56 AM on May. 30, 2009

• my nephew has onein his "private" area his ped. said if it wasnt gone by 1 year of age they would send him to a specialist, because if it isnt a major concern hen they wil not operate until atleast 1 year. They may just be where i live though.
    rebel_momma

Answer by rebel_momma at 3:23 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Thank you all so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 30, 2009