If you are dialated quite a bit before labor begins can it shorten the labor process?

My friend was dialated to a 4 already when labor began and her labor was 9 hours start to finish. The doctor said that was really good for a first time mom since the average first time mom take 12-14 hours to deliver.

In her second pregnancy she was only dialated 1 cm when labor began and her labor took longer.

I was dialated to only a "finger tip" when labor began and I was in labor for 27 hours.

This time I'm already dialated 1 cm and still have some time to go so I was just wondering if it COULD make labor shorter.

---I know nothing is a guarentee and all women are different but I am just wondering if there is any significance to how much a women is dialated before labor---

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, definitely. Your body has less work to do, so thereby it should be shorter labor. I was 5cm dilated when I went in for my induction My labor lasted five hours.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I was dilated to 4 when I went to the hospital and my labor lasted a horrible 25 hours.
    with my second pregnancy I was dilated a 1 and labor lasted 7 hours.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think so, I was dialted to 2 1/2cm for two weeks before I was induced with my first (and only so far) child. My labor only lasted 5 1/2 hours start to finish!
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:51 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My water broke with my son around 7am and when I got to the hospital I was dilated to a 2 or 3 and I was in labor for 14 hours. They kept telling me to relax and try to take a nap and I never would, until it got to be around 10pm. After I took my nap I went form a 5cm to 10cm in about 10 minutes. I now know that when I go into labor with my daughter to nap as much as I can because it does help lol.

But like you said it all depends on your body.
    fallin4aSOLDIER

Answer by fallin4aSOLDIER at 9:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I was dilated to 2 when I was induced with my first and labor was 2 hours 40 minutes from the start (all they did was break my water, no pitocin) and I was 5 cm for a week prior to them inducing me with my daughter (same thing they only broke my water no pitocin) and that labor was 4 hours 23 minutes so in my case no... I had a shorter labor when I was less dilated
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:30 AM on May. 30, 2009

• how effaced you are is a better indication of labor. The more effaced you are, the quicker you typically dilate
    Jaydin_Makenna