Okay, one more...

At what point in a person's life do they have to accept Jesus? (if that's your belief)

I keep hearing that if you want to get to heaven you have to accept Jesus. But when and for how long? What if someone finally, after years of "sinful" living, "sees the light" and accepts that Jesus lived and died for her. And then a week later - dies in a flood? Is she good? Or didn't she believe long enough??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the church I grew up in you could be saved five minutes before you died and you would go to heaven. But it wasn't like a lot of the other churches I've visited, you can't just say "I believe and accept Jesus" and all of a sudden go to heaven, you have to be really convicted in your beliefs. But like I said, that's just the church I grew up in and there are many different points of view on the subject.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It doesn't matter what point in your life. As long as you believe in Him and accept His gift of salvation you are saved, whether you are 5 or 100. Now if you are lying on your deathbed, and pray the sinner's prayer just as a "safety" precaution, then I don't think that really counts if you don't honestly and truly believe. But it is always best not to put it off til tomorrow, because no one is guaranteed another day, another moment, or another breath.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:52 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i wouldn't want to be the one to say 'deathbed repentence' isn't true--that's between God and human. also, i wouldn't dare say one who's lived a long sinful life (no matter what your view of sin is--some are more tolerant than others, eh?) but moment's before death (whether it was a surprise or not), was 'saved'..wasn't good enough. unrepented sin is unrepented sin. one could argue that a child who repents, hasn't lived long enough to sin..so why repent? an 'old/professional sinner' has just as much right to grace/mercy/forgiveness/heaven as anyone...all he/she has to do is repent, believe that they have been saved by christ's sacrifice. of course, God would prefer a saved person so life faithfully to the end..that doesn't always happen, but like your relationship with your child, once that love/relationship is established, the door is always open. humans will fail; God only requires that you repent/have faith in his mercy.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:00 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I guess goodbecause jesus forgives and can read our heart.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:08 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't believe accepting Jesus is necessary.
    But the explanation to that is quite long, and there isnt' room here...
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• thehairnazi: I didn't mean in any way that repenting on your deathbed wasn't acceptable!! Truly that IS between that person and God. What I was meaning was that you can't just pray a pray, just as a safety precaution, not really believing, and expect it to be honored. God knows that person's heart inside and out, and knows if they really want to be forgiven and if they truly believe in Him and love Him.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It doesn't matter. I guess you could accept Him during your final, rattling breath. Who am I to say, though? That's completely and totally between each person and God. He's the Big Guy - I'll let him handle it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• srhmildndo..in no way was i arguing your statement..i prob worded it wrong, sorry.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• You don't have to accept him EVER if you don't want to. Jesus is not the "ticket". He is simply a great path to follow.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 11:30 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I believe that if you accept Jesus the second before you die youare saved. You have to REALLY accept him though. God doesn't ask that you accept him for a certain amount of time, he justs asks that you accpt his gift of JEsus's salvation and eternal life. I am having a spiritual journey of my own and I wil ltelly ou what keep hearing told to me. Take of my word and learn of me. Go pick up a bible or go to a bible on the web and start your research. If the hunger is there go and eat, Jesus is always waiting for us and willing to take us back no matter how man times we stray. He loves us and wants us to spend eternity with him. I hope I have answered your question :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 12:53 AM on May. 30, 2009