Are public schools the worst places in our country?

My friend who came for a visit from abroad was invited by another friend to visit one of the public schools in the city. Long story short she was disappointed to know that America doesn't have the best school is the world as most of the foreigners think.
Do you think some schools look like a place that should be demolished?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana (yes, we are the only state with parishes rather than counties, interesting fact if anyone cares or already didn't know). We have the best public schools in the state that I attended Pre-K thru 12, graduated with a 3.85 GPA, went to college for FREE on a TOPS scholarship offered through public schools in LA and now I am an engineer; I do not have any complaints towards my states public school system.

A lot of history lies in the walls of those schools that look like they should be demolished. In New Orleans they have schools over 150 years old that get remodeled every 5-7 years, because historical rights that forbid demolition.

I think your friend should do a little more research on the schools to weed out the disappointment.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:21 AM on May. 30, 2009

• No, not at all... Our schools aren't perfect, but the education is great and getting better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think the US is ranked nuber 25 in the Science division on the WORLD. Not something to be proud about at all. We should be ranked in the top 5, I was so shocked when I read where we stand.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 9:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• "No, not at all... Our schools aren't perfect, but the education is great and getting better."

What planet do you live on?

Anonymous

• Mine is ranked number three in the state, and in the top 100 in the nation - I don't think it is so bad.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Education in this country has been headed down the tubes for a while.
    Anonymous

• I would imagine that there are some pretty crappy schools in the US, but none that I've ever set foot in. I'll be proud to send my daughter to the school I graduated from. It's a Blue Ribbon school and one of the top ranking ones in the state. Students get a fabulous education there. As a matter of fact, the GPAs in my graduating class were quite high. So much so, that even with a 3.97 I was ranked #28 in my class.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:12 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Quit throwing good money after bad and get rid of teachers unions. One thing I will give obama some credit on is the merit levels for teachers but its just a start. Bring back dicipline as well kids are out of control. And quit all the stupid stuff like eliminating competition in sports and academics. Let the kids have a taste of the real world then maybe they would be able to handle it when they get into it. We are raising a generation of pansies who think society owes them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Our public schools are nothing but day prisons for our children. When you bring in police to act like security guards to patrol the halls and scrutinize everything the kids do, it's wrong. They are treated like prisoners, not kids. When teachers and other school professionals don't want to deal with issues children have, rather than providing professional guidance and care, but prefer to drug our children into submission, something is wrong. All of our kids can't be ADD, ADHD, hyperactive--all those labels they like to give. Our kids aren't getting the education that they need and there is no innovation in education being implemented. Basically we place our children in the care of people who really don't care anymore, lock them in for 18 years of their life and then expect them to go out and make a life for themselves. I know we have some good teachers, but we need more young, imaginative, caring people with vision.
    Anonymous

• on this person's visit, did they only look at the outside/grounds/buildings..or did they actually read documents telling of test scores/graduating percentages/etc. i found, through personal experience, some other-country (particularly europeans) visitors seem to find our entire country distasteful, due to the 'look' of things. hello...we aren't as old as europe!
    since we're talking education...didn't anyone tell your friend that you can't judge a book by its cover???
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:19 PM on May. 29, 2009