what are some good tips to get a 13 month old to bed with out a sippy cup

my twins are 13 months old. my daughter is a easy to get to sleep but my son freaks out when its bed time and he doesn't have a sippy cup. is there anything i can try? I wont give him milk at night and its even harder with even trying to get him to sleep with water. what can i do!!!

mom_of_twins428

Asked by mom_of_twins428 at 9:44 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• why don't you give milk before bed? if you're worried about teeth, you can brush his teeth after he finishes the milk. or does he wet the bed? you can get over-nighter diapers. have you tried reading him a book and having him take a warm bubble bath?
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 9:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I weaned mine slowly. I have done two different things. You can add water to the milk - make about one ounce of it water, and keep increasing the amount each week. This worked with one of my sons. With the other I slowly decreased the milk until he only got about 2 ounces. At bedtime I gave him two sippy cups-one with the little bit of milk, and the second with water. Eventually he just got the water. They both sleep with water now, and usually don't drink any but a sip.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I weaned mine by adding water to the milk, then I just let them carry a cup of fresh water to bed after they no longer expected the milk/juice/whatever because it ended the "can I get a drink of water" routine. Instead of getting rid of the cup, I encouraged it by sitting a cup of water by their bed each night. As they got older and could go to the sink themselves they stopped needing the cup and it drifted away. My almost 5yo dd keeps a cup by the bathroom sink in case she's thirsty now (she's always thirsty!) during the night, but my just turned 3yo already gave up his nighttime cup months ago. He just never used it much. My others did different things too. It's just one of those "everyone's different" kind of things I think.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:45 AM on May. 30, 2009