anyones toddlers have cavities?

i have a 2 year old daughter and i've never taken her to the dentist. while i was brushing her teeth the other night, i noticed a little bit of brown on the back of her bottom front tooth. i don't know if it's a cavity but i want to take her to a dentist just in case. i'm just curious if anyone else's toddler has had a cavity?

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 10:04 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unfortunately my 2 yr old DD has 1 cavity on her bottom molar. She has a dentist appointment in sept to get it fixed.
    mrsahlfs

Answer by mrsahlfs at 10:09 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son drank a corn oil based formula as an infant- nutramigen. and i was the mom who sent my son to bed with a bottle from the day he was able to hold it. his dr. recommended no water for the first year bc he is failure to thrive, so he seriously drank this formula all the time. by 18 months, he had 4 cavities. all in his four, front, top teeth. luckily i had him to the dentist at 12 months, and things were fine then, but by that next appt...i was still waiting for the 2 side ones to come down a little more and in reality they werent going to bc they chipped away as they were growing in. and one of the front middle ones cracked. now he has 4 fake teeth, caps. we brush like crazy and f' what the drs. say, my kid drinks ALOT of water now.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 10:12 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My two year old has the worst teeth in the world, just like myself and his father did when we had our baby teeth. I had 17 caps on my baby teeths, and now he is going to have to have all of his front teeth capped next month. We brush his teeth like we're supposed to, the dentist said it was just genetics (she saw both me and my SO when we were young). It makes me so sad that I passed that on. At least they're all getting done at the same time next month. My poor baby.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my little girl is starting to get a cavity in one of her canines. She saw the dentist for the first time at 21 months old and I was told to quit giving her milk at night because of calcium buildups around her gums that could lead to cavities. although i did stop the milk at night it is very trying to brush a 2 yr old's teeth really good and i guess that one tooth is showing the result. she's due for another checkup in july, i'm sure i'll hear about it then.
    vdewes

Answer by vdewes at 11:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I began brushing my sons gum's at 4 months (with finger brush but we now use a toddler tooth brush ). My son is only 13 months and has no cavities but I believe your suppose to bring your child to the dentist at 12 months or four teeth. My son just began getting his teeth has and appointment for next week. You should make sure you brush at least morning and night and wipe your toddlers teeth after meals. Also check and make sure your water has fluoride and if not then you may need fluoride treatment because lack of fluoride makes teeth very weak. Also many dentist provide a seal for toddlers teeth since they can't yet floss, I'm not sure at exactly what age but I know my dentist provides it, the dentist will also clean your child's teeth during visits. I think preventative care is really important and will help so much, don't wait till after there is a problem to bring your child to the dentist and it will be so much easier
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:16 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My son is 21 months and has not been to the dentist yet. Our ped recommends waiting until they are a bit older. He only has 6 teeth anyway, and we brush them 2x a day. He never gets juice (at all) or a bottle in bed, he also always gets water after his formula. I didn't get any cavities until I was 25, and my husband is 31 and still has none, so I am hoping my son will have strong teeth like us. Our dentist said it is likely he will have the same good teeth.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:34 AM on May. 30, 2009