What is ODD?

mommynmax

Asked by mommynmax at 10:22 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oppositional Defiance Disorder. It can be very challenging, I worked very briefly with a child with it, but I don't have a lot of experience with it or knowledge of it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• When a kid is very difiant an does not obey simple requests and if punished tries will rebel and do more bad stuff as a way to get revenge.
    Anonymous

• A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least six months during which four or more of the following are present:
    1. Often loses temper
    2. often argues with adults
    3. often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
    4. often deliberately annoys people
    5. often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
    6. is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
    7. is often angry and resentful
    8. is often spiteful and vindictive
    Anonymous

• anon 9"35pm, your definition almost matches the one in my Developmental Psych book. According to my book, Oppositional Defiant Behavior is a pattern of defiance, disonedience and hostility toward adult authority figures lasting atleast 6 months. Goes beyond normal childhood behavior. Onset is usually 8 yrs old. Kids with ODD constantly fight, argue, lose their temper, snatch things, blame others, are angry and resentful, have few friends, are in constant trouble at school and test the limits of adults patience.

There is also a disorder called Conduct Disorder that kids with ODD may also have. It includes repetitive pattern of aggressive, antisocial acts including truancy, setting fires, habitual lying, fighting, bullying, theft, vandalism, assults and drug and alcohol use.

Not something easily fixed or that the child can control on their own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on May. 29, 2009

• That's all fine and dandy and very intellectual and erudite...fancy language. Fancy, but simply.... the real term is a brat, a child who has needed discipline, boundaries and restrictions since maybe the age of one or two. I bet the parents are too afraid to discipline because they don't want the child to feel bad and they try to reason with him instead of saying "You were wrong, you need a time out and no TV and that's that".For example.
    Anyone have any comments on THIS?.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree w/ u Lindalu... the answers that were given sounds like a lot of children I know and I have never heard of ODD. It sounds like how all my friends were as a teenagers so what is the difference between normal child/teenage behavior and ODD?
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• That's all fine and dandy and very intellectual and erudite...fancy language. Fancy, but simply.... the real term is a brat, a child who has needed discipline, boundaries and restrictions since maybe the age of one or two. I bet the parents are too afraid to discipline because they don't want the child to feel bad and they try to reason with him instead of saying "You were wrong, you need a time out and no TV and that's that".For example. Anyone have any comments on THIS?.

I do ;) It's a recognised mental health disorder. And sadly, in conjunction with conduct disorder it tends to be a precursor to adult antisocial personality disorder more commonly known as psychopathy. These kids need way more than discipline. 

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:13 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Lindalu, I have a comment on that. I had never heard of ODD before a month ago but my dd has 6 of the traits listed above. We have called her on her behavior since she was little so you can't blame it on being afraid to discipline. It started when she was 3. We took things away from her. We even threw all her toys away and left her with nothing but her bed and clothes (when she was 7) and she said "So what, I don't care" We used to spank her and she would laugh. It finally took counseling to get her under control. She still has issues but is starting to understand that her actions have concequences. There are parents out there who's kids are brats because they don't believe in discipline but that's not the case for every kid. If you met my dd (she's almost 8) you would think she was an over spoiled 16 yr old girl. We still don't let her get away with crap, we're consistent and it's exhausting.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:59 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Lindalu: It goes way beyond what you think. These children are disciplined and they are not being just brats. It is a chemical embalance in their brains and they cannot help it. You may not heard of ODD but it is a real disorder. You must not believe that a person is depressed either, you must think they just need to get over it. Get over yourself, if you weren't going to help this mother than you should have kept your mouth shut. She doesn't need your closed minded thinking, she needs help and understanding.

To OP: ODD is real and you need a lot of credit for getting your child the help she needs and deserves. It isn't easy. I take care of a 14 yr old that I think has ODD or CD and it is not east. She is bigger than me and when she is violent can easily hurt me or someone else. She is disciplined but it doesn't matter, she still has issues. She doesn't know why she does what she does & how to control it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Oh my....get over myself? Its a chemical disorder? Isn't EVERYTHING? Sorry...I just haven't heard of it before. Get over myself? That was rude. I might not be as "informed". I might need information. But you don't have to be rude. Do YOU have this disorder? You sound hostile.OK?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:05 PM on May. 30, 2009