35 weeks pregnant and my baby is still in the breech....

Im 35 weeks and getting really nervous about her being in the breech position. She has a heart condition that will require heart surgery at a few months of age. So it adds to my nerves. We never had any problems with. our first daughter.

Is there anything I can do to try and get her turned around? What should I expect if she does stay this way until labor? My Dr. says there is still time....but I really feel like she will never get head down... is there time?

nicholelpb

Asked by nicholelpb at 10:28 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't have a lot of advice, but I do want to reassure you that there is lots of time. My niece was breech and scheduled for a c/s, but when my sis went in, they did an u/s and she had turned so she was able to wait and deliver vaginally.

My last son was turning up and down the whole pregnancy. I had a non stress test the Mon before he was born and he was the right way, on Thu when I went in to be induced they didn't check, but after 16 hours of labour we found out he was breech. I'm positive he had turned the night before I was induced, because there was a lot going on in there, but I didn't realize he'd turned until after he was born.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Just a side note...Make sure you get your Group B Strep test done. Anytime your baby has an abnormality it is vitally important to get that test. It is an easy and quick swab of the vagina. It is mandatory in most places, but there are still some cases of drs not testing for it.

I would look up baby spinning. It is a series of exercises to help the baby spin around and move into the head down position.
    Good Luck your baby will be here soon. :)
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• canadianmom--did you have to have a c/s then? Was he feet or buttocks first?
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 10:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Some simply at home things you can try are:

-GO TO www.spinningbabies.com NOW!! My baby was breech and after only 2 days of doing a couple of suggested positions to get baby to flip on his own my baby moved into the head down position and stayed there.

_Putting a bag of frozen peas where the baby's head is. The cold can encourage your baby to move away from it and into a head down position.

_Use a bright flash light and move it from where your baby's head is down toward your cervix. Unborn babies can see the light at this point and will often follow the light because they are interested in it.

_Play classical music to you lower abdomen. Babies will often move towards it.

Other things you can try are:

_Going to a chiropracter for the Webster Technique to be preformed. This is a SAFE adjustment he or she can do to get baby to move. It's over 85% affective in turning babies.

If after all this b
    Anonymous

• WIth my last one she was breeched up until 2 days before I was induced. You baby can turn at any time.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• y still doesn't turn find a midwife or doctor who is experienced in breech delivery. Frank Breech and Footling Breech babies can be born breech SAFELY...IF you have a practitioner who KNOWS what they are doing.

Unfortantly most medical schools don't teach breech delivery any more but it's VERY RARE to find a midwife who isn't properly trained in breech delivery so a CNM (Certified Nurse Midwife) that delivers in hospital may be your best bet for delivery.

I personally would NOT consent to an "External Version" because it can be dangerous and even life threatening to mom and baby. IF you choose this procedure it should ALWAYS be carried out in a hospital where they can monitor you and baby and QUICKLY preform a c-section should the uterus rupture or the baby go into distress during delivery.
    Anonymous

• I meant "during the version" not "during the delivery"
    Anonymous

• a good Doctor or midwife can deliver a breech-- I was born breech my mother was born breech my sister was born breech and we are all vaginal deliveries and 2 of us have a in born heart problem and one of us a genetic kidney problem--- although I do not know this as a scientific fact -- just something I see A LOT OF babies who have a major system problem are often breech-- also there is something called a version -- they can manually turn the baby around-- they put a hand up there and manually turn the baby
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• ditto anon 10:38...spinningbabies.com in an awesome resource. And I forget the techniques name but a chiropractor can help you allign in a way that the baby will be more comfy in a head down position and decide to turn. I also like trying the rebozo. You can even use just a bed sheet, get on all fours, and have someone cradle your belly with the sheet and "sift" your belly vigerously as you feel comfortable. I think that technique is on spinning babies too, though I cant remember for sure. Good luck though, I know here it is very difficult to find a Dr that will deliver a breach baby, but if you can find one it is worth it compared to a c-section.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• its true a baby can move positions i had twins and the big one was head down the entire pregnancy and twin b was up and down he flipped over right after his brother came out and he just kept on flipping lol. he was born feet first.lol.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 11:20 PM on May. 29, 2009