• In the Spotlight:

anyones baby ever had an umblical hernia?

my 2 and 1/2 month old daughter has an umblical hernia the ped made an appointment for the surgeon to look at it next thursday to determine if he wants to operate on it.. im worried about that but it looks to me like it has gone down it was really big and that was a big concern for me but now it looks a little smaller. does anyone have any suggestions on this and if your baby had it when did it start going away and did anyones baby have to have surgery on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest had one. It freaked me out. Our ped said they normally go away when the kids start moving around and using their abs...like when crawling and walking. My LO's went away at about 7 1/2 months. I would hold off on the surgeon. Umbilical hernias are not dangerous like groinal hernias. I would totally tell your ped that you want to wait and see if it will go away on its own. I wouldn't want my baby to have surgery if there was a possibility that it would heal up on its own.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yup, my son has one. It's never caused any problems. He is 3 and it's still there. It's a very tiny one. My pedi said that if it's not gone at 4, he will refer him to a surgeon.
    simonsmomma

Answer by simonsmomma at 11:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son just had surgery on his on April 20th but he is 6 years old and it still hadn't gone away. I was told by the surgeon we saw that if they don't go away by the time they are 3 they will not heal themselves after that. My mom works in surgery and she said the only time they operate on babies is if it is really big. If its too big it will affect their crawling. Mom said they operated on one baby that his dragged on the ground when he crawled but he was like 8 months old. I doubt a surgeon would operate so young unless he felt it necessary. I would just talk to your dr about the possibility of it going away and see what he says. You can also talk to the surgeon about it.
    iluvmyboys2008

Answer by iluvmyboys2008 at 11:50 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my 3 month has it and he has to have it removed, but his is down where his pee pee is
    parisonmom

Answer by parisonmom at 11:52 PM on May. 29, 2009