Can you get errested for looking up child porn??

My best friends boyfriend got arrested about a year ago. He was looking up child porn. She tells me that the porn just "poped up" but my hubby and i thinks it has to be more than that. It wouldn't just pop up if you've never been their before, and my hubby thinks maybe he went to a minors house and got arrested there or something. Were unsure, so what I want to know is if you can get tracked for looking up child porn, or if it was probably more than that. The nasty thing is that she still wants to marry this guy and have his kids when he gets out. He's not allowed around my kids!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• Well I don't look at child porn i dont look at any porn. but i think if he got arrested he did more than just look. haven't you watched 20/20 or Dateline lately?

1boy1girl4me

Answer by 1boy1girl4me at 3:43 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• I'm pretty sure. I knew this man one time (he was a big prev) and when he died, their were federal agents searching his home because of the large amounts of child porn on his computer. I don't know what else they may have found or what the deal was with it, but i know it is a FEDERAL crime to have or possess child porn and i believe that would include on the internet. I do know that most of these sites that claim they are "child porn" are usually girls that are 18 and they digitally enhance the pics to make them look younger... sick huh? Yeah i'd keep that guy away. Protect your family!!
    JJzMaMa87

Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• Yes, you can be arrested just for possessing child porn, and includes having it on your computer or looking at it on the internet. They have ways of looking at a computer and figuring out what files, pics, web sites visited, all of that EVEN IF they have been erased. There is some way of recovery those deleted files and such.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 3:48 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• yeah...I know it's a crime...but can it just "pop" up if you've never been there before...that's what this sicko is saying and I just can't believe it...but even though I've told my best friend I don't think it just pops up like that, she doesn't believe me because he is the love of her life! YUCK!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• She obviously loves this guy more than common sense, but have you ever accidently come across child porn? I've never been on the computer and a naked child popped up. I wouldn't even know where to look for such a site. Anyway, how did the officers know he was looking at it online? If it was a just pop-up, why was he arrested?
    Anyway she will probably be another one of those women who chooses to be in denial, because it's just so much easier than staring the ugly truth in the face.
    makeitlast4ever

Answer by makeitlast4ever at 5:21 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• yes you can get tracked i used to live in this apt complex and my neighbor he was a real nice guy but his son got arrested for child porn. we found out that his son had been looking it up on ithe internet n the cops arrseted him and took his computer as well as my neighbors computer. the sad thing is his dad had no idea what is son was doing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• oo wow...(to the last answer) That is so terrible. Thankyou for all your answers. IF anyone else looks up this question, do you think he will have to go on megans law (if he only looked at child porn) and register as a sex offendar or no??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Aug. 12, 2008

• It is against the law to have child porn on your computer. Sometimes if you type in something and miss by a key stoke even if it is totally innocent it can come up...but I doubt that was the case. Just goes to show why kids should not be unsupervised on the computer without a net nanny or web sitter in place.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:23 PM on Aug. 12, 2008

• you can not get arrested for JUST looking, coming from a law enforcement background I know this to be a true fact. But you CAN get arrested for trying to lure children or trying to make contact or for actuallt making contact with a child and them finding the porn.

I would never let my kids near him either and she should be just as concerned as you are. For god sakes these are innocent children who trust us peers!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 13, 2008

• It is actually not illegal to look up child porn. You have to save it, or send it or print it out to be illegal. You can actually look at it 24/7 on the computer and not get in trouble.
    BettyBoots

Answer by BettyBoots at 2:51 AM on Aug. 16, 2008