would it be bad if i asked to be induced ?

i want the baby to be born on the day she is due because if she isnt then her dad will miss her being born..is that bad of me to ask my doc? i really need some advice. i dont want him to miss her being born, i dont want to be alone in the hosptial. i will be alone delivering her if she is born late.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No it is not bad of you.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 10:49 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I honestly don't think this is the right place to ask only because so many are against it. Some may be veryeude when they answer. I would ask
    Anonymous

• i had the same thing! I was running (well, waddling) up and down our three flights of stairs for two weeks, having sex as often as we could, even went to the dr about that natrual inducing method of "irritating the cervix" and it worked for me. I went into labor, found out she was breech and they gave me a c-section. My husband was able to be there and it helped SO much! If he hadn't been i would have been TERRIFIED!
    I don't think it's bad at all! How much longer til your due date?
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:52 PM on May. 29, 2009

• every now and then when we induce we pull out a baby that is just not ready yet.....today in my hospital we have 4 vented (thats on life support) babies who otherwise had normal pregnancies and normal prenatal care -- they are inductions gone wrong-- it's a big risk to take- i understand your situation and totally think it is awful but I would rather be alone and have a healthy baby then take a chance-- can your mom come to visit? orother family member
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Honestly I don't think it's a great idea, and I doubt your doctor will do it ON your due date. It's worth a shot though so go ahead and ask.

On another note, do you at least have a close friend or family member that can be with you? (Just in case).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It would be unethical for your doctor to consent to a non medical induction. The College of Obstetrics and Gynocology says that doctors should NOT preform elective inductions because of the risk they carry.

I understand your wanting your SO to be here for your child's birth so I would try natural things such as nipple stimulation which releases the natural hormone that pitocin (the induction medicine) attemps to mimic.

A safe nipple stimulation method is "rolls nipples (or pump) for 2 minutes, rest for 3, roll nipples for 2 more minutes (or pump) then rest for 20 minutes while walking. If that doesn't work you can up it to 3 minutes of nipple stimulation, 2 minutes of rest, 3 more minutes nipple stimualtion, and then rest for another 20 minutes." ONLY DO 1 BREAST AT A TIME to avoid hyperstimulation of the uterus.
    Anonymous

• They just had today on TV that nipple stimulation and have as much sex as you can handle, it will not hurt the baby and there is something in the semen that can induce labor. I would imagine if he's leaving he will surely go for the sex thing!! haha Good luck hope that baby comes in time for him to be there for you and delivery!!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 11:11 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I asked to be induced 1 week early because i wanted a certain Dr. to do it and he did it for me. And I am so glad that i did. I had a wonderful birth experience! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• i asked to be induced because it was 95 degrees and i just couldnt take it anymore! But i had a very healthy pregnancy and my doc said no but in your case absolutely not is it wrong! you arent asking to be induced to go get drunk or asking to go early its on your due date for goodness sakes! I would def talk to your doctor. Induced labor is a longer labor though and more painful. Youre contractions can go from 0-60 really fast! I know mine did. Technically i was induced because my water broke but contractions didnt start so i needed the pitocin. Try walking a lot, skipping stairs as you walk up them, sex sex sex! hopefully it will work out that he can be there but if your doc says no because of risk or something like that then dont push it!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 11:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I know you didnt say why our husband is going to be gone, but I am going to assume it is because he is military? If I am wrong let me know, but if it is there is a doula program called operation special delivery, and if you email them they will set you up with a doula for free. To answer your question though, it is really a personal preference as to wether or not you want to be induced or not. Keep in mind though, that your body produces a hormone called relaxin, this helps your hips to spread, and your pelvis to relax enough for the baby to pass through easily, and also another hormone that helps with the final stages of lung development. If you are induced (on your due date or not doesnt matter, it maters when the hormone is produced) and that hormone hasn't released and had time to work yet, you are at a very high risk of a c-section. I know you want your husband to see the delivery, but I would hate to have you at cont
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:19 PM on May. 29, 2009