how do i make my mom feel better?

she just found out she has herpes and she was crying all morning telling me that the doctors before had told her it was nothing and she says she got it from my dad. and that shes had that itch for over 20 yrs. and she doesnt know how to tell my stepdad. she says he will despice her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• She has to tell him, it is only fair to him. She would expect the same courtesy from him. If she has had "that itch" for 20 years, she should have kept pushing to find out what was wrong. Her current husband may already have herpes and not know it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, I got herpes from my ex and was devastated. He was my first and he told me I was his and I put all of my trust in him and paid a big price for it. When I got with my current boyfriend I was terrified to tell him but I knew it was the right thing to do. You should NEVER hide an STD from a significant other. It's just not okay. What I did was, I sat him down and told him that I had to tell him something and that'd I'd understand if he got angry or thought differently of me but I just wanted him to hear the full story before making any decisions/judgments. I told him what I had and how I got it and all that it entails. To be honest, herpes is a nasty std but SOOO many people have it and don't even know it. I thought that you only get it from sleeping around but that's simply not the case. It's very common. Just tell her to be honest and be understanding if he gets a little worked up. If he loves her, he will be just fine.
    Anonymous

• honesty is the best policy. Just be supportive.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Its terrible that she's got herpes, but, there are treatments for the symptoms. She really should be honest with her partner so that they can both take precautions. Tell her not to worry that it will all work out in the end and that it will be ok. It can't be cured but it can be treated. No worries, it will be ok.
    nursegirl1115

Answer by nursegirl1115 at 1:24 AM on May. 30, 2009