i need advice on how i can breastfeed with inverted nipples

angelbullard

Asked by angelbullard at 11:19 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took Breastfeeding classes...and I pretty sure they said this..but i might be wrong...I think you'll have to use the breast pump first to get ur nipple use to being out then u'll be able to feed ur child from ur breasts
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 11:23 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i dont have them but i have seen other people ask and get answers they make this nipple sheild you can put on your nipple while you breastfeed. i think you can get it from the baby section in like target or walmart.
    luckyhart

Answer by luckyhart at 11:24 PM on May. 29, 2009

• One of my nipples is inverted. I had no problems breastfeeding. I just pulled my nipple out before inserting into the baby's mouth. I didn't need a breast shield or anything. I pinched behind the nipple until the nipple stood out.
    If you need help call a lactation consultant. My hospital has several on staff and make sure all moms who have babies have the resources they need if they want to BF.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• well first of good luck. i had the same problem, i didnt know i had inverted nipples till i came home from the hospital. so what i did was i used a nipple from the bottles put it on your own nipple and the baby will suck on it i would use the clear nipples so you can see if milk is coming out i just found that much easier. make sure you have some soothing nipple gel pads because you will be sore and keep using the pump in between feedings. i remember when my son actually latched after a whole month of trying i didnt want to stop feeding him i was scared he wouldnt latch on again. and talk to a lactation consultant they are very helpful.CONGRATULATIONS ON BREAST FEEDING.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 11:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Hopefully the hospital where you deliver is breastfeeding friendly--we had nurses and lactation consultants in the room all the time helping us, but you can call your local La Leche League for help too, especially after you get home.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 12:17 AM on May. 30, 2009

• No worries! www.kellymom.com is a great site with some really helpful evidence-based information. Here is a link; http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/bfhelp-mother.html#inverted

The best advice I can give is to find a board certified lactation consultant (different than your "run of the mill" hospital LCs... most of them have NOT had proper training, testing or experience, and despite their best intentions they can cause more harm than good at times.) KellyMom.com has a search engine you can use to find someone in your state. Oregon (if you live in OR) has a great program for nursing moms that can provide support with lactation consults and pumps and all sorts of things. :)

You CAN do it! It will just take patience, time and lots of support. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 12:56 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Contact your local La Leche League person or the lactation consultants in your hospital. The LD nurses may be able to help also, depending on how birth-friendly your hospital is. Everyone in this situation will be different and some individualized help will be nice to help you get started off on the right track!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 12:57 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Breast SHELLS rather than shields will be very helpful. Also read the kellymom article.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Flat and inverted nipples often cause no difficulties for breastfeeding. This is because when a baby is latched on well he latches onto the breast, not the nipple. However, some mothers with flat or inverted nipples do have more difficulty getting baby to latch on well.

As long as baby can take a good portion of the breast into his mouth (baby's mouth and gums should bypass the nipple entirely and latch on to the areola), most types of flat or inverted nipples will not cause problems with breastfeeding. Some types of nipples are more difficult for baby to latch on to at first, but in most cases, careful attention to latch and positioning, along with a little patience, will ensure that baby and mother get off to a good start with breastfeeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:30 PM on May. 30, 2009