having problems getting my 14month old off bottle

everytime i give him a sippy he crys and crys untill i have to give me a bottle and he throws the sippy down.. Or takes a few drinks and dont drink anymore.. I want him to get milk in him he needs it.. How do I get him off the bottle

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea! My son is 21 months (this weekend anyway) and still gets 6 bottles a day. He also only weights 18-19 lbs which is very underweight, so we don't have any intention of taking his bottle away for awhile. He won't drink his formula out of anything else, and I am not going to let him starve himself for a few days just to get rid of a bottle. He has a very small appetite, and will actually starve himself to the point of dehydration if I were to let him (which I will NOT). I really don't see the issue with toddlers having bottles as long as they are not attached to them all day long. My son drinks his within about 2 minutes, and never goes to bed with it, so I really don't see how it would be a problem. None of his doctors think we should take his bottle away either- it is more important for him to get the calories than it is too get him drinking out of a cup. He does use a sippy cup for water though.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:38 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Just stop giving it to him. He will cry, and he will throw a fit, but eventually he will get thirsty enough that he will drink from a sippy too. Giving it to him after he has cried is just saying to him "you have to cry x amount of times before I give in" So the next time he cries longer and harder because you have already let him know you will do it.

You can also try, putting vinager in a bottle with water, he wont like the taste. Putting only things he doesnt like in a bottle, and all his favorites in a sippy. Give him special treats when he gives you the bottle, like trading his favorite snack, or toy for it when he wants it.

I would just throw it away though. The fits at that age wont laste for more than a day or 2, and yes it will be hard, but will be tons easier than if you wait another month or so when his memory is alot better. He wont do any damage to himself not drinking for the short amount of time.
    Anonymous

• So he will at times drink from a sippy? Then just stop the bottle. Get rid of them...pack them up if you want to have another baby, throw them out, donate them whatever...but get them out of the house. He CAN drink from a sippy so there is no reason for him to have a bottle any longer. He won't cry and carry on more than a day or two. But you can't give in to him, you have to be the parent.

As for him "needing" the milk, you can make up the nutrients with other foods if need be.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:27 AM on May. 30, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:40 AM on May. 30, 2009

• try a different sippy cup
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:48 AM on May. 30, 2009