CIRCUMSIZED

MY SON IS 3 MONTHS AND I WAS WONDERING IS IT TOO LATE TO GET HIM CIRCUMSIZED? (SOORY ABOUT SPELLING). AT FIRT I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING IT DONE BUT THEN I CHANGED MY MIND BECAUSE I DIDNT WANT T O PUT HIM IN ANY PAIN SO WE DIDNT GET IT DONE BUT NOW IM KINDA REGRETING IT BECAUSE I HEARD THAT IT IT GOOD TO GET IT DONE BECAUSE IN THE FUTURE HE WILL NEED TO BE CIRCUMSIZED BECAUSE THERES ALL TYPES OF STUFF COULD COME FROM NOT BEING. MY FRIEND'S BROTHER DIDNT GET CIRCUMSIZED UNTIL HE GOT A INFECTION AND "IT" SWEELED UP REALLY BAD THEN HE GOT IT DONE HE IS 23. ANY WAYS SHOULD I GET IT DONE BEFORE ITS TO LATE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU need to do your own research on this one.

www.circumcision.org

If it was needed it wouldn't be considered cosmetic surgery.  Circumcised boys and men have just as many issues as uncirc'd men.  Look up statistics.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:43 PM on May. 29, 2009

• it does need to be your decision. Do your research, but it's not to late. I've heard of doctors doing on babies as old as months. And i understand you not wanting your son in pain, but if you decide to get it done, there are methods of doing it to make it fairly pain free. There will still be a little pain but not much. But it's definately a personal decision.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:48 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My husband isn't circumcised and he is perfectly fine. = } He's never had any problems, and doesn't think anything about it. It is a personal decision. I've always heard its better to do it early on, like in the first few weeks because they are less curious, so that means less touching it and less squirming around. But like the PPs said, you should do your own research on this one, and make a decision. Good Luck.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:54 PM on May. 29, 2009

• It's not too late && he may never get an infection. however, my little brother was uncircumcised && his did get infected && he had to have actual surgery to be circumcised at 4 years old. so if you do decide to do it then the sooner the better.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:00 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Do research on BOTH sides of the issue, not just biased sites that some moms will post. Look at the pros and cons and then decide what is best in your mind. Also know that if you do choose to circ him, he will be given pain meds and will not undergo some horrific torture that others may lead you to believe.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:15 AM on May. 30, 2009

• At that age, I think he'll need to be put under anesthesia and get stitches. As everyone has said, do your research and make your decision. If you have it done, make sure to write down the post-circ instructions for caring for your son at home. You'll have to make sure to get him clean at diaper changes without using baby wipes, and they'll probably tell you not to use diaper rash ointment until it heals. My son was 5 weeks when he was circumsized because we adopted him at 4 weeks and it hadn't been done yet.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:27 AM on May. 30, 2009

• here is a link on care for an intact penis http://www.cirp.org/pages/parents/peron1/
    My 2 boys are intact, they are 6 1/2yrs and 3yrs. No infections to date. Common reason for infections are from people who retract the forskin for the child. This should NOT be done. The only one who should ever retract the penis is the child.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:39 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I have 2 intact sons and several intact relatives. No problems for them! Complications can arise from the actual circumcision if you choose to have that done. Get the facts from the American Academy of Pediatrics. Why cut off normal, healthy, benificial body parts?
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:48 AM on May. 30, 2009

• It needs to be ONLY your decision and not based on the opinions of the people on this website....but no, it's not too late..The ONLY thing that I would suggest IF you do have it done, please go see a pediatric urologist who is trained to do it, NOT a pediatrician.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:54 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Men do not NEED to be circ. It is so rare for that to be actually NEEDED, so not doing it now doesn't mean it's better because he'll HAVE to have it done later. Over 85% of the men in the world are not circumcised, so do you think they are all running around with infections and other issues? I doubt it. My own brother and son are not and my brother has had ONE infection in his life. What did they do? Well, the doctor just told him (he was 7) that if he was able to retract, he needed to do so and rinse. He's never had a problem.

Research it and if you do decide to get him done you will probably have to wait until a year because at this point they'd want to put him under, but that's something you'd have to discuss with the doctor who'd be performing it. Personally, I see no point to circumcision because the few medical benefits it has are not worth the risks of performing the procedure.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 12:54 AM on May. 30, 2009