911 not just for emergencies?

When I was little I was taught like everyone else that you don't dial 911 unless it's an emergency. I'm originally from a big city but 10 years ago moved to a small city. Well a few years ago we moved to an even smaller city. There was a car abandoned in front of our house so I called the police dept. (regular number). They told me to hang up and call 911? WTH?? My neighbors cow got out. Animal control fixed the fence then told us if the cow got out again to call 911 immediately?? I'm wondering how many people live in towns like this? Is this normal??

sadira29

Asked by sadira29 at 11:55 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I can see calling 911 for the cow, sort of. The car, though, that is stupid. I can't even imagine being the one calling that in:

911, what is your emergency?

Someone abandoned a car in front of my house.

Oh, my god! Lock your doors, and hide in the closet. We'll send police right out. We'll make sure they bring the SWAT team.

LOL
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:51 AM on May. 30, 2009

• HAHA! I guess they have a lot of time on their hands.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:03 AM on May. 30, 2009

• While I see what you mean and agree with you entirely, I think that the reason they would have you call 911, however irrational, is that a cow on the loose could be very dangerous. If a person driving along hit the cow, that is a lot of damage and could even be fatal for the dirver or passengers and almost definitely for the cow. It is certainly important to get a cow back into its fence before someone is hurt.

In a small town though, there really isn't anyone who has the job of loose cow wrangler if there is no local animal control. So, I would guess that is why you would call 911. Just make sure you tell them that the police told you to call them. ;)

But having you call 911 for the abandoned car is ridiculous. I guess next time, call a towing company.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:06 AM on May. 30, 2009