my 3 year old is having problems with her bowel movements and is straining so hard that she turns red and is in pain - she now has a rashy bloody rearend and we have been to the er, urgent care, and a pediatrician - nothing is helping her - any help???!!! - please - thank you

fyrtlemyrtle5

Asked by fyrtlemyrtle5 at 12:35 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Poor baby ,have you tried prune juice ? or did they give you suppositories @ the Doc ?
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 12:41 AM on May. 30, 2009

• my friend daughter went through that.. i can't remember what they gave her but she had a "butt plug" and it was HORRIBLE!!! They put her on SOMETHING to giver her diareha (TOTALLY spelt that wrong...) for 2 weeks. I would try prune juice, straight apple juice... go back to the er and say she isn't pooping? I hope everything gets better! poor baby!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:50 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Have you tried adding good fats to her diet, like coconut or flax oil? These can be stirred into oatmeal (about a tsp per day) or spread onto toast. Another idea is adding good bacteria to the intestines for better overall digestive health. Liquid, live acidophilus is great! It can be found at a health food store. There are several great tasting yogurts now. Activia is really a good one. The probiotics are really important for helping this situation get better. Does she eat too much sugar in her diet? (juices, fruits, cereals, "fruit snacks", etc) This may have caused a yeast infection in the gut, resulting in the rashy bottom. All of these things I've recommended will fight this and make it right inside so that the problem should resolve itself without forcing diarrhea.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:12 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My little sister had the same issues when she was that age. Lots of apple juice and I think even mineral oil helped her out?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:20 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Get Benefiber! You want the non-thickening and grit-free powder that is flavor free and sugar free. It stirs into the food or drink.
    burnsbct

Answer by burnsbct at 9:09 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My son went through this at 2 years old and was finally admitted to the hospital for being SO backed up. They gave him 4 enemas! It was terrible =(

Anyways...they sell Miralax over-the-counter now. I think we mixed something like 1 tbsp in 8 oz of fluid (usually juice). It's tasteless. My son never had issues taking it. He took it for almost 3 years--he had a fear of pooping so we had to keep it soft so he would "go".
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:27 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My daugther did the same thing. I was actually shown her x-ray and she was so backed up it was impacted in places. We were told since none of the gentle treatments (apple juice, prune juice, etc.) was working to get some chocolate ex-lax and give her 1/4 of the recommended dose for an adult, plus an enema. Within an hr she had evacuated everything. But still to this day she gets backed up. Shes old enough to tell me when she hasnt had a bm in a while though, which helps. I keep extra enemas, disolvable laxitives and exlax on hand just in case i might need them in the future.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 1:51 AM on May. 31, 2009

• What is her normal diet like?

Dried apricots work like a charm.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009