I was in a car accident and I was not wearing my seat belt....

but I survived and I am fine. Therefore, other people shouldn't worry about wearing seatbelts, right?

Why do people use this as a vaild arguement?
I see it all the time here on Cafemom and IRL. People will say "I smoked while I was pregnant and my child is fine" or "I drank alcohol while I was pregnant and my kids are fine" "I was formula fed and I am alive and not obese"

It isn't about things WILL go bad. It is about the risk. It is a risk to drive without your seatbelt, it doesn't mean you WILL die in a car accident. It means your risk is greatly decreased. What about that concept is so hard to understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm not going to argue the formula feeding point, but I will say this. Do you guys NOT see that you're using the same excuse? "So and so was, and they're fine?" I mean, read the above post again. You can disagree with the statement about formula, but provide some valid data, not just that your cousin's brother is alive.

We always wear seatbelts, and we follow the recommended guidelines for car seat safety, not just the minimum. My brother was in a severe car accident, and nearly lost his foot. Drunk driver hit him on the interstate going the opposite direction. They all died, and were not wearing seat belts. My brother and his friend were wearing seatbelts are are alive. Notice I did not say fine.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:10 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Great point!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:37 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Excellent words.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:41 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree, and maybe it's the false belief that it won't happen to them or whatever. I know I wear a seat belt going a mile from my house, and my kids get buckled in no matter what of course. Just cause things have a small risk, doesn't mean it won't or couldn't happen.

With everything there is a risk, so can't avoid everything just having to pick and choose wisely.
    MamaHens3

Answer by MamaHens3 at 12:43 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I guess some people are just selfish. I mean if you die in a car accident because you weren't wearing your seatbelt, what about your kids or your SO. If your pg and choose to smoke or drink I think that's selfish too. If you can't go 9 months without a drink then something is seriously wrong. Smoking is bad for you and bad for your baby. While I do currently smoke (quit way before my first was born and started up again when my youngest was 4) if I was trying to get pg or found out I was pg there is nothing on this earth that could make me light up. Some people need to get their priorities straight.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:43 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I completely agree! The simple facts are this. If you are wearing your seatbelt and get in an accident you are LESS LIKELY to get hurt or die than if you weren't. Doesn't mean you will get hurt or die if you weren't wearing your seat belt, it just means you had/have a greater chance than someone who has theirs on. The same goes with smoking, doing drugs, or drinking while pregnant. If you do do it you are MORE LIKELY to have a baby with problems or complications than someone who doesn't. Just because one person has a healthy baby after doing everything wrong, doesn't mean shit. Everyone likes to think they are invincible until one unfortunate day you learn your lesson. My friend drank, did drugs, and smoked everything under the sun while she was pregnant. She figured people do it all the time and have healthy babies so what's the big deal? Well now she has an 18 month old who can't even hold her own head up. Lesson learned.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:06 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with everything you said except for the formula feeding, formula feeding your baby doesn't pose any health risk.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:04 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with everything except formula feeding.... that is so the polar oppisite of your other vaild points.
    Mama2onelilboy

Answer by Mama2onelilboy at 4:10 AM on May. 30, 2009

• http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on May. 30, 2009

• are you serious about formula feeding not posing a health risk over breastfeeding? even the formula tins say "breast is best" do you seriously think multi billion dollar companies bend to the will of the breastfeeding advocates? come on, money talks, they would never say it if it wasnt true.

if you care to gain a little knowlwdge, take a look at this site.

i dotn mean to make anyone feel horrible, i understand that formula has its place, but its certainly not equal to breastmilk

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on May. 30, 2009