hi i am the the mom with the 3 yr old having bowel movement problems - we have already tried all the basics and the dr remedies i need some good old fashioned remedies - thanks

please feel free to invite to chat - i don't know all the ins and outs yet

thanks - i might not be able to chat right away - kids - ha ha ha

fyrtlemyrtle5

Asked by fyrtlemyrtle5 at 1:24 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my kids were little and they had problems, I'd add raisins to their oatmeal. I'd put them into the water while it was heating...I used the long cooking oats. Give them as much water as they will drink. Something that used to help my son drink more water was taking pieces of canned fruit and putting into ice trays..add water and make neat looking ice cubes. He loved it!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:19 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Why is this on here twice?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 30, 2009

• How is that helpful?

You might need to see a GI specialist. My daughter has had serious constipation issues since she was a baby. We see GI on Monday, she really needs something done. Miralax worked really well for my daughter for a long time.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:41 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Seriously...try Benefiber. It is a natural laxative. Just give it a day or so.
    burnsbct

Answer by burnsbct at 9:11 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My daughter had the same problem and would go a few days without going or it was really hard! I found that it was her diet, too much cheese and milk products. With cutting down on those, it helped a lot. Also...try giving your child Flax Seed Oil...it's really good for her brain (Omega Fatty Acids) and helps coat the bowel for easy elimination!
    MammaCat22

Answer by MammaCat22 at 10:01 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My 3 year old had the same exact problem. We gave her the Gerber Apple Prune juice, straight, in her cup and that helped. We also tried Plumsmart from Sunsweet and that worked good too. We also tried Metamucil Fiber Cookies, she thought they were really cookies. And those helped. Her problem has eased to a degree since she started going on the potty. But now I have a four month old starting down the same route. Dang those genes!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:16 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Drink lots and lots of water. Eliminate meat, artificial sweeteners and dairy, focus on high fiber foods: avocado, whole grain bread, brown rice, beans, lentils, fruits, vegetables.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with evilabbysmom. her idea sounds good to me.Anything with prume really works.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:13 PM on May. 31, 2009

• my son when he was younger had problems with constipation. Twice we took him in for enemas at the hospital. If he's a cheese eatter cut back. Believe it or not cheese will clog the pipes. Increase his liquid especially water if he'll drink it. Prunes, raisins and anything with lots of fiber will help. There's yogurt and some high fiber cereal out there that taste just as good as "kids stuff" and they won't know the difference.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• oh and not sure how active your child is but exercise also helps.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009