I think I have mastitis, I am nursing only my 10 months old baby and i hve this horrible pain in one breast

is just in one area, is very hot and I feel like if running a fever. i don't have insurance so what can I do to feel better? I had mastitis before with my older son, but I went to the doctor and I remember I took antibiotics.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Health

• hon you need to get an antibiotic and stop breastfeeding til you are well. Good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:12 AM on May. 30, 2009

• OMG...do not quit breastfeeding. That will only make the problem worse! Keep breastfeeding and see if you can find a clinic for low income families. If you quit BF then the milk will just clog up more.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Heat, rest, empty the breast. You really do need to see a doc too.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I had mastitis with my second baby. I checked with my ped after my primary gave me antibiotics and my ped told me to continue nursing but nurse on the infected side a bit before a dose would be taken so baby wouldn't get the antibiotic in her. BEARSJEN'S RIGHT u need to get to a doctor. Do u have ShopRite Supermarket near u -near me they have inexpensive clinics in them. Some CVS stores have inexpensive walk in clinics. The good news is that mastitis is just an office visit cost and prescription cost, no xrays or othr diagnostics needed. CAN u call your ob and speak to the office manager and ask to be billed for the visit? CAN a family member pay for u? I was in bed for several days my mastitis was so bad, had a fever, my breast was the size of basketball. Not fun. U CAN ALSO CALL YOUR your county social services dept or your hospital's social services for help getting care. DO u qualify for your state's insur or medi?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Massage the breast often, pump often, hot compresses often. If you develop a fever, call the doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Ice!! I had that in both my breasts and I was in pain, ice and advil worked wonders for me. I didn't bf because it hurt so bad and the doc couldn't guarantee it wouldn't pass to the baby. See if you qualify for state medical insurance, you would be surprised at how much you can make and still qualify.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:27 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I had mastitis multiple times during breastfeeding, and the most important thing you can do is GET THE CLOGGED MILK DUCT MOVING!! Mastitis is the infection that results from the milk being clogged... so if you can get the clog out, the pain and swelling and everything else goes away within 24 hours. If you already have a fever, then yes you should get antibiotics to treat the infection. But if it is just pain and swelling, take a super hot shower and let the hot water beat down on the clogged breast. Usually if it a clogged duct you will see a red or affected area - apply pressure on the specific affected area of the breast and hand express until you get milk to flow. It may take a while of the hot water beating down on you, but I did this multiple times with clogged milk ducts and I cleared it up before it turned into an infection (mastitis). DO NOT STOP NURSING. The baby is the most effective way to get the milk flowing.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 3:41 PM on May. 30, 2009