My daughter seems to be regressing

My daughter is now 10 months. I've always considered quite advanced for her age...she has been walking since 9 months and talking since 6 (well saying 4 words..lol)...She use to have a vocab of 10 words and the doctor was actual astonished last check up because she said a normal 12 month old should be able to say 6 to 8 words...Well my daughter seems to only say dada and hey now and on a rare occasion mama...I'm starting to wonder is she regressing or does she just speak when she wants...lol...has anyone else experienced this

SCrockett

Asked by SCrockett at 2:12 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes when babies learn a new thing they regress a bit in another area.Did you notice the change in speaking ability when she started walking? Because they have to concentrate so hard on doing things they don't pay as much attention to other things, like they put them on the back burner.
    Don't worry she will catch bak up with her speaking as soon as she masters walking.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:15 AM on May. 30, 2009

• mybe she is just not going to be a big talker?Like once she noticed she could she was like"ah I dont have much to say" lol. I wouldnt worry. you ae so used to her being "advanced" that now normal timetable things seem slower or off to you. shes ok mom.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• my son [[21 mos]] goes back and forth too. But I don't think he is regressing, he is just stubborn && chooses not to say them sometimes. lol I don't think he forgets them or anything. I wouldn't worry too much about it, since she is so young.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 2:33 AM on May. 30, 2009

• My son is 11 months old, and he is doing the same as your daughter. He also started walking at 9 months old and could say "mama, dada, kitty, hey, thank you...." but when he was younger, he would say mama all the time, then he stopped and began saying dada all the time, but now he is back to saying mama constantly and NEVER says dada anymore. But he loves our family cat and once he started saying kitty it never stopped. I think it all depends on what they want to say and how they feel. I wouldn't worry about it! Kids their age are WAY TOO BUSY to talk!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 2:33 AM on May. 30, 2009

• It could very well be that she is getting ready to pick up a new skill. However, any signs of regression shouldn't be ignored. Just keep an eye on it and if she doesn't pick it back up in a few months, make some calls. Call Early Intervention and voice your concerns about her. They'll be able to help you.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:24 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Our little boy started walking at 9 mos, and didn't talk for the longest time. He started speech therapy thru Early Childhood Intervention at 21 months, as they thought there MIGHT be a delay in speech. However, he might just start when he's 2 y/o, they said. We opted to do the therapy, (he's very advanced in all the other ways, early walker, problem solving, "I think I'll push this car over here, then I can reach the toy, drink, sink, etc.") And at 2 y/o he started saying words. He's up to about 60 in the last 2-3 months, and I don't think they'll continue the therapy much longer. He's definitely caught up, but I'm glad we started w/ECI, just in case there had been an actual delay. I don't "make" him talk, but they do, LOL! Now, he's learned there's a whole new world of vocabulary and is eating it up! I wouldn't worry at 10 mos. They say early walkers often make late talkers. They're too busy to chat! LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:20 AM on May. 30, 2009