To tie the tubes or not tie them

I am planning on having one more kid then getting fixed. Questions are, how do they actually tie your tubes and does it affect your mood? DH asked if they were going to have to cut me open and I thought they didn't if you had your baby naturally but then I realized I wasn't sure what they had to do. When I am on birth control I feel so much more calm and relaxed (and not horny) but when I am off I get irritated and turn into the horny b**** that never gets laid and blames everything on everyone lmao. Is there something else I can be on besides ativan to help that if I am going to get fixed and not need birth control ever again? Any advice is appreciated.

drgnfly77

Asked by drgnfly77 at 4:36 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hmm idk! I'm on the same page as you tho!! After the next kid I'm tying my tubes AND he's getting clipped! I don't know what the side effects are or anything. I'm not on bc right now cuz when he gets back i'm gunna get my baby! lol
    What about researching side effects of tube tying online.. or talk to the dr? I do know it's a lot less risky for your husband.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:54 AM on May. 30, 2009

• When you get your tubes tied, believe it ot not you feel free. If you have a natural birth they will go thru your belly button and tie them off. If you have a C section they will do it them then, same incision. I am not going to lie, it does have some pain but its bearable, and you do have to be careful afterwards.After everything heals up, you are good to go. It was the best thing that I ever did. Just follow doctors orders to the letter, thats all.After you get them tied, there are no side affects except the pain that you have for about a week.It doesn't affect your moods,etc. After a while you forget that they are tied, its no big deal. This is what happened with me, so I can't speak for anyone else.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:19 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I just got it done 2 weeks ago, I feel great no cut or anything they go straight  in your vaginal.a lot of people don't know they do it like that now . I  came home the same day.  The pain was like mestrual pain with some pain medication i was fine . I have 5 kids and my baby is 13 months it was time for me to do it:)

rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 7:16 AM on May. 30, 2009

• The way they "tie" them is they go in, clip the ends off each tube, burn the ends, and tie the tube into a knot.
    I don't know if it's painful because I had mine done when I had a c-section... but I can say that I regretted it... my youngest is six now and it's hard for me to see little babies and stuff... I always wanted four kids, but I had three and pregnancy was rough on me, so under the doctor's advice I got them done..
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I had mine tied after my 3rd (and finally a girl!). I had c-section so they did it then. Honestly I did not feel any pain from the tubal. I will say that since having it done, our sex life is better than ever. We don't have that fear of "uh oh maybe..." hanging over our heads and so we are a little more free with our sexual relationship. Also, I have found that since having it, I am more willing and ready to have sex than the hubby is!! lol
    mommyhedden

Answer by mommyhedden at 8:55 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I'd get mine tied if I could but my bitch doctor said I was too young. But I don't want anymore kids!
    FallenKitty

Answer by FallenKitty at 9:37 AM on May. 30, 2009

• There arer several ways they "tie" the tubes. The most common is to go through the belly button and they make a loop, at the midsection of the tube and clip out a small portion, then burn each end. They don't actually tie the tubes at all.

They also have clamps, clips and rings that they put on. This is the best to get if it may be the slightest chance you may change your mind and want to try for a reversal later on.

Another type is a fimriectomy and that involves cutting off the fimbria, this is the part of the tube that grabs the egg after ovulation and sweeps it into the fallopian tube. This is almost ALWAYS permanent with no good chance at reversal, so be wary of this method.

I didn't have any problems with my tl, had it for 10 years...my only issue was a divorce and remarriage and we wanted a baby together. I had a reversal and we are currently 33w pg with baby #2 together, then another tl for us, gl!
    susanna71

Answer by susanna71 at 4:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have heard horror stories from friends who have gotten their tubes tied, like cramps from hell and very heavy periods. Really do your research before deciding on something so permanent. Good luck!
    vgmomof2grtkds

Answer by vgmomof2grtkds at 5:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I had mine tied 10 years ago and I made the right decision for me! I have 2 little scars, one in my belly button and one at mine, um, hair line. Afterwards it was like a heavy period and cramping but not bad.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:53 PM on Jun. 17, 2009