Should smokers be allowed to enter rehab?

It has been said over and over by doctors and just about everyone that smoking is one the the #1 health problems in this country and causes all sorts of diseases. It's one of the most addicting things you can put in your body and had a relapse rate that is horrible. Yet all they do is raise taxes on it (like that is gonna help). There are patches and pills to take. But that is like telling a heroin addict to put on a patch everyday and just quit. If it is such a major health issue, and there are people out there that genuinly want to quit, why aren't they allowed to enter a rehab facility for say, 30 days? If they feel that is nessacary for them? Smoking is bad for the smoker and those around them. Why is there no help to quit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Health

• I'm going to google that. It doesn't make sense to me either, I know there is rehab for video game addiction, I don't see why there wouldn't be for smoking. It was super hard for me to quit, I would have done that if given the option. There is a Smokers Anonymous support group in my town......
    I'll report back with google findings!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:49 AM on May. 30, 2009

• That's because the tabacco companies don't want you to quit. Some people have no trouble quitting and for other's it's really hard, (the gum and patches don't work) they have a pill you can take but it has been known to cause hallucinations. The government thinks that if they keep raising taxes it will make people want to quit but that hasn't worked, (people are still buying them). I think the rehab idea is a great one but it will never happen.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:50 AM on May. 30, 2009

• http://www.stop-smoking-updates.com/quitsmoking/cigarette-cessation/quitting-basics/rehab-centers-help-quit-smoking.htm

I guess that smokers can check them self into substance abuse rehab. Huh, I did not know that!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:53 AM on May. 30, 2009