For my pagan sisters, Do you say a devotional?

I was reading a book the other day. And it was talking about how you should always say a devotional before bed to the Goddess(es) and one in the morning to the God (s) this is the first time I've heard that. Did I miss something or isn't this the norm...

Honestly I like the idea...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:16 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't, but I'm not what I'd call a "practicing pagan" I don't "worship" so much as I believe in the existance of multiple Gods and Godesses, or the "One God/Godess." I say an occasional prayer, and give thanks when I feel I should.. I'm a little lazy in my faith I guess.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:31 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I don't and I can't say that I know anyone who does.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:36 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I do not though I have read things like that before. I don't feel the need to claim devotion & my concept of deity does not include anything that wants me to be devoted to them. However, I can see where it would be nice to begin & end each day with some spiritual contemplation of some sort. My meditation time (when I make time for it) is a short time before I go to bed.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:34 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Ive heard of people praying before bed and when they get up but I havent in a while.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:46 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I am quite excited as I finally found my house so to speak(organized, and just about clean here LOL). I can finally put up an altar as my children are older now and understand not to touch my things. I have decided to make daily offerings and prayer to the Goddess each morning and will also include my children in this daily ritual. I figured they could draw pictures to place on the altar that represent things they are thankful for, or needs that they may have(i.e. when they start school, a bully leaves them alone). I also thought they could bring in a stick from outside to represent the wood used in the house for shelter, or a leaf to represent the food they eat etc...

I use to sit outside and meditate, but then i started working(recently quit) and my whole morning ritual went down the toilet. seriously. I would still send out needs of mine or my friends in the car on the way to work, but that felt so impersonal.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:57 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I love devotionals. I don't always do them everyday and certainly not every morning and night. I do them when I get a spare moment and a little time to myself. I also write my own. I have a hard time finding prewritten ones that I like. But I'm not duothestic so it would be hard for me to pick two Gods to offer devotions to but it sounds great if you are. I don't know if prayer and devotionals are the norm among most Pagans but I think it might be among Recons.

Now if I can get my dd to leave the altar stones alone.........lol. She's only 2 and wants to eat them.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:15 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Was that a Cunningham or Buckland book? I saw something like that in one of their books the other day. I don't, but I like the idea. I've been looking for some ideas about writing a devotional and such, but I can't find anything Pagan. If you've come across something, please let me know where it is! I don't think it's something that we all do. Just like we don't all worship the same God and Goddess. It's all personal preference, as far as I know.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I've been looking for some ideas about writing a devotional and such, but I can't find anything Pagan.

I can send you some places that are specifically Heathen if you'd like. Not exactly what you're looking for, since for us they are toasts more than devotionals, but the structure could be a jumping off point.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:35 PM on May. 30, 2009