formula help?

okay heres my story. i breastfed my baby till he was 6 weeks old and my well started to run dry, so he was being supplemented with nestle good start supreme, well he was already spitting up a little, probably the norm for babies when he was on breastmilk. but then when supplemented he started spitting up more, well then when on full formula really started being really fussy and gassy. then i switched to enfamil gentle ease because he was gassy and seemed colicy , really fussy a lot. well that didnt fix thigns cause he was spitting up what seemed like most of his bottles. so i tried the enfamil AR, and it was great and practically eliminated all spitup, but now it constipates him and makes him very unhappy due to that. so, now what do i do? try soy? i would think if he needed soy i woul dhave had these same problems when on full time breastmilk right? help!! i hate having to switch around on my little guy so much. 10wks now...

c2customs

Asked by c2customs at 8:45 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• should had staied with one brand if you were with good start still id suggest the dha and ara it workks with supplementing my daughter no spit up no gas no fussy
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:54 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Seems like your baby has sensitivity on the formula given..Soy is definitely not yet advisable i guess..Have u tried S-26? this is most common formula prescribed by pediatrician unless the baby is lacto-intolerance. I suggest to consult a pediatrician first before you decide to switch for another milk brand.
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 9:03 AM on May. 30, 2009

• oh i remember this one my dr talked about
    enfamil nutramigen
    iy is supposed to be even better on babies stomachs that are sensitive

http://www.enfamil.com/app/iwp/enfamil/productDetail.do?dm=enf&id=/Consumer_Home2/Enf_Products/ForInfants/NutramigenLGG&iwpst=B2C&ls=0&csred=1&r=3421141534
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:06 AM on May. 30, 2009

• It takes at least a week for the "old" formula to get out of his system before you can truly judge if there is a change (better or worse) with a new formula. So make sure you're giving it enough time.

Before making all these switches, speak with your pediatrician. It's not that you need his permission to make a change if you want...but you need to at least keep him informed of what you're doing. And he might have some other ideas, too.

My son was on soy from about 2 months on to help relieve constipation and he did well on it. He switched to milk later with no trouble.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:33 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Our FS was on the soy formula at 6 months when he came into our care. He apparently had similar problems (spitting up), and his birth mom had him on soy. Since we didn't want to mess around with changing his formula, we used it until 12 months. We didn't know how he would do with whole milk, but did just fine, no problems at all.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:11 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I think that if you found a formula that deals with his issues, you need to stay with it and give his body a chance to adjust. 3 formulas in 4 weeks is definitely not giving him enough time in between to figure things out.

And when switching formulas, remember that constipation is normal in formula fed babies. Breast milk is a natural laxative for them, and formula tends to back them up.

I would talk to his doctor about treating the constipation, not switching the formula.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:15 AM on May. 30, 2009

• carolynbarnett is right, work on the constipation. my son is 7 weeks and his doc said 1 teaspoon of dark karo syrup in 2 ounces of formula up to 3 times a day. it is the sugar that makes them go, and we switched to good start supreme and with one day he was better. I dont know why people think that it take =s so long to switch them over, if you ate something that gave you gas, would you wean yourself off that food while adding another? of course not. formulas are pretty much the same, good start has the 100% whey protiens that break formula down better than others that is why nestle has no generic they know they have the secret to that. i have done extensive research ont his because my baby was so miserable. Please talk to doc about the karo syrup and good luck. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:53 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My daughter is on Good Start Soy plus cause of lactose intolerence. Soy generally binds a baby up so what our doctor has us do is to put 1/2 ounce of prunce juice in 1 bottle a day. Keeps her very regular and no hard pellets. She has a normal formula fed baby poop! Talk to your doctor and see what he/she says about what to with the constipation. Good luck
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:59 PM on May. 30, 2009

• my daughter had the same problem i had to put her on enfamil NUTRAMIGEN. it cost more but it helps with colic and constipation.
    shawndalynn

Answer by shawndalynn at 1:50 AM on May. 31, 2009