SAHM and PA

Should family that have a SAHM being qualify for PA. Shouldn't they work if they need food or other PA. I am so tired of reading how someone is a SAHM but are living off of PA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• im a SAHM and we DO NOT get any assistance
    also things like that are so hard to get if you have income so no people wont work when they want it
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:57 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Sometimes the mom stays at home because the couple can't afford daycare. I know that's what I'm doing while I finish my degree. We don't get food stamps or cash or anything, but we do have temp medicaid for myself and my children. Although mine will run out after I have my daughter and honestly if my SO can get a good enough paying job (he's qualified to make more than he does now) then we will probably all go on his insurance. But the way I see it, I've paid into the system for years and years to be able to use it if I needed it, and right now we need the insurance for our kiddos. Now I know that there are a lot of people out there who do take advantage, but I can tell you that the system does make it hard to get assistance if you do have a job, so there are some people out there who honestly do want to work and contribute, they just got trapped in a horrible cycle. I think that PA for the most part (con't)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:01 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Sometimes any job you get would only really cover the cost of child care and the increase in gas and car expenses. If that's all it would do, it's really pointless to work. I think that if the stay at home parent has the qualifications to get a good job that would cover those expenses as well as put them in the position of not needing public assistance, then yes, they should get a job and work instead of getting aid, UNLESS there is a good reason not to, for example a special needs child that just cannot be put into some kind of childcare, or that parent having some type of disability.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:01 AM on May. 30, 2009

• should be reformed to where it's easier for working people to get the assistance they need. As I said, I don't work right now, but at least with Medicaid when I did work they have a tier structure based on income and family size. We pay $20 a month, but I feel that's fair (for families w income to pay) for our children to have insurance.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:03 AM on May. 30, 2009

• While I understand about childcare and car expenses-I know SINGLE moms who get assistance and work. They do it-they get up everyday and do it on their own. I feel that there is NO reason to be a stay at home mom and get assistance. The only GOOD excuse to me would be if you were in school-then I could see that. There are several women on this site who do this-and before-I thought that it was wrong.

But after reading their stories-I understand better. I can see that school is more important than working some low wage job. If going to school is going to get you off PA and propel you forward-then I am for that.

But to just be home doing nothing to better the situation-I am not talking about stuff that is out of your control-like looking for a job and not being able to find one, etc. I am talking about sitting at home doing absolutely nothing to financially contribute-then-no. Thats how I feel.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 9:06 AM on May. 30, 2009

• It really depends on their situation so I don't judge and maybe you shouldn't either.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Yes, if the family income is low and working with the cost of daycare will NOT improve their living conditions. I rather see a woman, home taking care of her children, perhaps going back to school herself. But I agree with Anonymous 9:07 it depends on their situation.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 9:24 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I think a women should be home raising her children, I have to agree daycare is not the solution and is very expensive and will not make it better. In fact it will be more stress and expense.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2009

• If a mother chooses to stay at home while her husband works and she wants to keep her children out of daycare that is overly expensive anyway then why shouldn't she qualify for assistance. I mean if the husband has income why can't that count as the home income? Why should you get so upset by someone wanting to feed their family? I think that people should start growing gardens and basic foods should be free.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I think asking for assistance can be helpful if it is truly needed, I still say children need mom at home to care for them, staying at home with the children is a job.... not a vacation, there is work to be done,,,,the house still needs to be cleaned and stuff to be done. and I agree putting in a garden is a good idea, I work full time...my kids are grown, just one in high school and I work while he is at school....I have a garden to help with the food bill.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:18 AM on May. 30, 2009