Was this right?

I had my first and only son a few months ago. I asked my doctor about getting "fixed" because I don't want anymore kids, hell my son was even an accident. She told me that I'm too young, even after I told her I'd have an abortion if I ever got pregnant again. Was that right of her to tell me I can't get "fixed" when I feel that way about getting pregnant again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes its normal. they wont fix you until you are a certain age or have a certain number of kids i believe. if you really dont want anymore kids, use protection and when you reach whatever age it is, get fixed.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:49 AM on May. 30, 2009

• The law is they will not allow a woman to get fixed until she is 23 or has 3 children out of wedlock....so just keep up on your birth control!
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 9:51 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Depending on the state you live in, there are different laws. There is a really high regret rate for mothers who did permanent sterilization under the age of 24 in this state so they make a huge deal if you ask for it here. You have to attend classes and counseling and yadda yadda yadda.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 10:18 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Most dr will refuse to do it if you are under 25 or 28 I think depending on what state you live in unless its medically nessacary because of a ruptured tube from an etopic, or cancer or something along those lines. Probably becasue of people suing them later in life becasue they regret the decision, and then blame the dr for letting them do it without thinking it through. Not that you would, but thats most likely the reason behind whatever the law is now.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 10:28 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Contact another doctor, check your state laws as well though and make sure you are old enough, there are other options though, they have long term birth control like Mirena which is reversible but good for up to like 5 years, would you consider that?
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:53 AM on May. 30, 2009

• from what I hear the new law is...They wont fix a woman without 3 or more kids...and atleast has to have one Male child to carry on a family name
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 12:18 PM on May. 30, 2009

• But my child is male, and I told them I'd abort anymore kids cuz not only would trying to have another kill me, I'd be depressed as hell cuz I'm raising my son ALONE. I don't want to raise anymore, I didn't want my son in the first place and still considering giving him up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on May. 31, 2009