Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can We Get Our Son Baptized?

I am Catholic. His dad is Mormon(almost ex-communicated). We aren't married.

Answer Question

Asked by DanjrusMommie at 9:44 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 3 (14 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Not sure... guess it would depend on the church. I've read (on here, mostly) that if you're not an active member of your church or if you're not married, etc -- it's difficult, if not impossible, to get them to do it.

    However, my friend's brother is Catholic, isn't legally married, never attends church & had both his sons baptised..... so I guess it's just a matter of finding a church willing to do it.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 9:56 AM on May. 30, 2009

  • i was raised southern baptist. im going to say no. my husband and i werent married when we had our son and they wouldnt let us have our babyshower at the church because we were having a baby out of wed-lock and they didnt approve. i could be wrong about that so call some baptist churches and ask around.

    Answer by SThompson21 at 9:58 AM on May. 30, 2009

  • Try a Non-Denominational Church. My daughter was unmarried when my oldest granddaughter was born. While they didn't condone her pregnancy, they did support her,had a beautiful shower for her,and let her know they were there when she needed them. They never judged, only loved,as Christians should. They let her dedicate the baby when she was just 2 weeks old,and we have a beautiful certificate from it. Most Non-denoms are very non-judgemental. Best wishes,and God bless you for wanting to do the best for your baby.

    Answer by stvmen88 at 10:07 AM on May. 30, 2009

  • Of course, you just have to find a pastor willing to do it. Then again you can become certified online and do it yourself if you want.

    Answer by purpleducky at 10:08 AM on May. 30, 2009

  • My parents had both my sons baptized. I wasn't married at the time either. They had them for a while due to personal reasons(i have one of them back now) and they were baptized. I'm not catholic so it wasn't my decision to do so, more or less against my will here, but anyway they were baptized. And they didn't even have custody.

    Usually the parents stand before the priest, but if your husband isn't converting i think you can have a proxy stand in for him. Not sure about that though.

    Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:15 AM on May. 30, 2009

  • I don't see why not. God bless

    Answer by mo2a27 at 12:42 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • Baptist churches will not baptise an infant not matter what the marital status of the parents. They believe that baptism is a choice that a person has to make, not something that parents can choose for a child. Usually, a child has to be at least 7 years old & be able to profess their Christianity. If you are Catholic, you should have no problem finding a priest who will baptise your child--you just need to ask around. You can also look into local Episcopal, Lutheran, or Methodist churches all of whom believe in infant baptism & have various rules about the ceremony & services.

    Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:58 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • in a non-denomination church yes you can..

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:05 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • Basically, if you attend a church and that church believes in infant or young child baptism, you should be able to have your child baptized there, as long as you are willing to have that child brought up in that faith. A non-Catholic partner would not be a problem as long as you are a practicing Catholic and would be willing to bring up that child as a Catholic. You would need to have two sponsors who are Catholic who would witness that baptism and agree to help you in educating the child.

    Answer by tngrandma at 1:07 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • I've taught Catechism classes in the Catholic Church. If you intend to raise your son in the Catholic faith then yes you can have him baptized in the Catholic Church even if his father is Mormon and you're not married. The only problem might be is if your son's father objects to the baptism. There might be some complications if you're not a member of the parish - but that can usually be worked out. You may be asked to take classes to make sure you understand the purpose and meaning of baptism and what you're called to do as parents if you choose to have the child baptized. You can make an appointment with the priest or the religious education director of the church to talk about the issues. Good luck!

    Answer by eringobrough at 5:33 PM on May. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.