Will you boycott this movie?

FROM ADOPTIVE FAMILIES MAGAZINE:

There is a horror film being released on July 24, called Orphan, about a family who adopts an older girl who "is not what she appears to be." The film is currently being promoted, and the trailer is available at http://orphan- movie.warnerbros .com .

The adoption message is extremely negative, and plays into the stereotypes of adopted children, particularly older children, as damaged.

WHAT DO YOU THINK, WOULD YOU BOYCOTT?

2ndtimewish

Asked by 2ndtimewish at 10:11 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Adoption

• http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=7702341&page=1

ABC Link about the movie.
    Anonymous

• Nope. It's just a movie. You could make the "extremeely negative message" arguement about something on virtually ANY film not rated G.

Will I see it? Probably not. I'm not a big movie buff & not a fan of horror.

I can guarantee you, though, my husband will be down there the day it comes out! lol
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:22 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I probably wont see it. I've managed to avoid "Juno" all this time.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 10:24 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I'm with onethentwins. I didn't see Juno and I don't plan on seeing this movie either. I don't exactly see it as a boycott though. Just my own personal preference and belief in such films.
    bellacocco

Answer by bellacocco at 1:01 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I won't see the film, but we don't go see new movies. There are very few that I like. I would not go see a horror movie anyway, because there are too many horrible things that people do to each other in real life. Hollywood is all about stereotypes, so this doesn't surprise me at all. It's nothing new. After watching Peter Pan, my daughter told me that she doesn't like "Indians". I had to explain to her that Native Americans are not really like the way they portrayed them in the movie. Orphan sounds like a horrible film.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:00 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I'm not planning on seeing it because it sounds pretty much like a thriller/horror movie and I don't watch those. The fact that it's about an adopted child means nothing to me. It's just Hollywood fiction.
    Anonymous

• I won't go see it; I don't watch horror films either. I do think it is unfortunate when movies and shows choose to promote a negative stereotype of adoption in general, and older child adoption in particular. Hotel for Dogs also portrayed foster parents in a very negative light. In my opinion, we should be encouraging people to step up and offer loving homes to waiting children, not scarying proespective foster and adoptive parents away based in misleading stereotypes.
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 4:56 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Dont get your panties in a bunch now people. Movies are there for entertainment, Im 100 % sure this wont change anyones mind about adoption, and it does NOT send a negative message about it at all. All it looks like is a crappy film anyway. There are movies worse than this and you are complaining about this? Come on now, where have you been?
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 5:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

• lolol. come on now. lets go burn some books while we're at it.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure that those of us who watch horror movies aren't watching them to learn something, or to help us make life decisions.. and i guarantee that im not going to get scared away from adopting because of a horror film!! lol... its just a movie!! Nothing more.. You watch movies for entertainment, not life coaching = )
    krayzbabylove

Answer by krayzbabylove at 6:04 PM on May. 30, 2009