single mom cna?

I have decided to finally leave my cheating husband. It hurts, i really love him, but he has proved to me so many times he doesnt love me. But looking ahead, i have a 15 month daughter. I dont think i will be able to count on my husband for any child support. He is not good with money, that was another of our issues. I am going to cna school. Made that decision before i decided to leave him. Can a single mom do ok as a cna? I plan to work at a nursing home and hopefully go to school part time to get lpn and then rn. Is this possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Anything is possible sweety. Before you try to put yourself through school as a CNA though, I would check into your local care homes, because in my area they will pay for your training, and pay you to go.

However, you will not be able to go to school part time to get your nursing. That will be a full time gig. But there are so many programs out there to help single moms, from discounted/free daycare, to financial aid to help you out with tuition, etc.

I am not single, but I am traveling a similar path as the one you want to do. I have done the CNA, am now a Phlebotomist, and am on the waiting list to start school in fall 2010 to become a LVN (the equivalent of an LPN).

If you would like any help/advise or are just curious about the things I have done to make these transitions easier on myself and my family, please feel free to message me, I would love to help.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:20 AM on May. 30, 2009

• YES!!! It is possible! Moms are super heros remember? We can do anything!!! I am a Surgical tech....i am married tho. But i know plenty of moms who work and go to school that have kids. They do it all alone. Some how!!! Dont not do because you think you cant. you CAN do it and it will be better for your kids. Also, they now have a RN program online. So once you get your LPN(im not sure if you can do LPN online) you can then get your RN while you sit at home!!! Good luck! Also......if you have any questions about the medical feild let me know. Surgical tech program is only 1 year. Ive been a surgical tech for 9 years, since i was 19, and i have moved WAY up the latter. I am now a Personal Physicians assistant and make over 20 bucks an hour with no degree. Although, most states require you to be a LPN, so definately get that!!!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:27 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Anything is possible if you want it bad enough, and you have started in the right direction. Check into what CB says and go for it. It will be hard, but, you can do it just because you want to.clapping

Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:30 AM on May. 30, 2009

• You can do anything! And just remember that by doing this, you are going to be a better provider for your child. Good luck!
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 10:35 AM on May. 30, 2009

• thanks everyone. I just at this point have so much guilt because this was not supposed to happen like this. I am doubting myself. I never would have had my baby if i knew i would bring her into a broken family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Just to address your child support comment--your DH needs to pay. Enlist the help of your state division of child support. Any time he gets a job in the state, they will garnish his wages. If he moves out of state, you can contact that state & they can garnish his wages. I know you say he isn't good with money & I don't believe you should plan your life based on what you might get in CS but don't give up before you even start! Do everything you can to educate yourself & care for your child but don't let this guy off the hook just b/c you say he isn't good with money.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:11 PM on May. 30, 2009

• yes its possible! im a cna right now and absolutely love it! as long as you put your mind to it anything is possible!
    fenska87

Answer by fenska87 at 1:53 PM on May. 30, 2009