what does striping midbrains mean?

ok my best friend patti is due any day now and yesterday her doctor striped her midbrains and told her she was 2 cm,so i want to know has any one had this done and how long after did u deliver.

born_4_God

Asked by born_4_God at 10:20 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• :-)

Its called stripping or 'sweeping' the membranes.

Baby is in a balloon of water. That balloon sits up against the cervix. When a Dr. Sweeps or "strips" the membranes so to speak, it means that they put their finger or two- inside the cervix and sweep around, attempting to dislodge or unseal the seal that has been created.
    Imagine the feeling of sitting on a leather couch in the heat, when you pull up your thigh that 'seal' is broken. It's much the same concept with sweeping the membranes, to break the seal around the cervix.

Theory is it also might rouse up some hormones in order to get some labor going on as well.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 10:25 AM on May. 30, 2009

• - oh and for some women it works within hours. For others, they have it done over and over and over again and it doesn't have any form of effect on them whatsoever.
    MamaCarterof5

• actually it"s stripping the membranes and I only know because my midwife is going to do the same thing to me on sunday and I asked a million questions and looked up all kinds of stuff on it. Basically the water sac is being scrapped away from the cervics, and from everything that I have heard and read it usually takes 24 to 48 hours to start labor. I"m dialated 3 centimeters andhave been having contractions for a week now so I truely hope this works.
    tiff94222

Answer by tiff94222 at 11:22 AM on May. 30, 2009