If you think it is OK for there to be a huge cross in a big city where everyone can see it, it is also OK to have a huge Buddha or Star of David or other religious symbol?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sure as long as the state or local government isn't putting it up or paying for it (in America). The people who own the land can put up what they like, as big as they like.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:00 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Sure. As long as it's appropriate you can put anything up... I wouldn't want to see a giant statue of some guy w/ a bong but I can't see anything wrong with religious figures or symbols!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I think all religious symbols should be allowed. I'm Pagan, and I have to say alot of people would probably cringe at the thought of me putting a giant lit up pentacle on my garage door. And I cant' even imagine anyone putting a pentacle on a government building. that would be first.

I also thought it wrong when in my hometown the fire department(firefighters using their own monies) were told to take down a nativity scene they placed every year because it was a city building. Who cares??? let them display it. It was pretty, all lit up and although I'm not christian i wasn't offended by it. It's not like mary was wearing a bikini and joseph was smoking weed. (just making a point not mocking anyone here) Some people have some serious issues on both sides of the religious spectrum. Believers want "non-believers" to believe, "non-believers" want believers to leave them alone. Some people just need to grow up.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:10 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I'm fine with that! I'm more than willing to see any and every kind of religious expression.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:19 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with nysa, Sabrina, and Cinder. I think everyone should be able to display their religious signs.

My problem is with the huge bilboards of strip clubs with half naked girls posed with their butts sticking out or their legs open. I don't want my dd to see those pictures when we are going down the freeway.

I don't know how anyone could be offended by the star of David or a pentacle or a huge Buddha. It just represents another religion. But then again I live in Southern Cali so we see Buddha's and pentacles and stars of David alot.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:19 AM on May. 30, 2009

• I think we should all be free to worship whoever and whatever we want within reason. I don't see a problem with religious figures but like Sabrina said, I don't care to see a statue of a guy with a bong, lol.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:23 AM on May. 30, 2009

• it's amazing cinnamon mom how those skanky billboards are okay to post yet a simple religious symbol cannot be. I live in vegas, and I have to tell you on every taxi there is some thong wearing bimbo's butt staring me and my children in the face when I pull up to a stop light with my children in the car no less.

It's everywhere, and just yesterday the news had a story about "porn pamphlets" being displayed in a family oriented neighborhood. But the owners of the pamphlets said it's their right to free speech. So ta-tas and bum bums are plastered all over that community where children play and wait for buses, and yet a religious symbol is forced to be taken down. I don't understand it?? seriously i don't.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:25 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Cinder, I can't imagine how it must be in Vegas. There is so much porno on the streets there. The guys on the corners would hand it to me when I was 12.

I really think that these public ads should be illegal and I am anti-censorship for the most part. People always say that Americans are just too prudish and if we were in Europe it wouldn't be a big deal. But there is a big difference between tasteful nudity (as in soap commericals) and a girl backing up her booty.

But when you show these images to children you are abusing them. I mean if I had a neighbor showing my kids sexy but not quite nude pics of women I would call the cops. But these strip clubs get away with it. They know that if they show a man that image it will be a very strong urge for him to make a visit.

If they want to own a strip club, whatever, but they should stop polluting my kids brains.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:43 AM on May. 30, 2009

• America was founded on the right to freedom of religion and that means ALL religion..... So it does not bother me to see other religions symbols because this is what makes America, America.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:44 AM on May. 30, 2009

• If it is on private property, not government property it's fine. We see a lot of the Star of David here around the holidays.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:03 PM on May. 30, 2009