how long to wait after maternity leave to put a 2 week notice in?

My husband and I want to move back home after our child is born, but I have been hearing that after maternity leave if you dont work for so long, they could make you pay back you insurance.... any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know that under FMLA, which is usually what maternity leave falls under, you have to work at least 30 days after coming back to work, otherwise the employer can require you to pay them back what they paid you, in terms of disability, vacation, insurance, whatever they covered. At least, that's how it was when I had my oldest 8 yrs ago. You should have an FMLA poster somewhere in your workplace, and they should give you documents explaining it, that will have the info in there as to how long you have to work when you come back. If it's still 30 days, I'd say when you've been back for about 2 weeks, I'd give 2 weeks notice. When I had my oldest, I was the same, wanting to move back home. So, I calculated what my 30th day would be, and turned in notice so that my 31st day was my last. They gave me no problems. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 30, 2009

• That was me that posted the answer @ 11:21. I don't know why it's anon. I only discovered it when I went to my answers and it wasn't there! Sorry about that!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:33 AM on May. 30, 2009

• It depends on your company and how they interpet FMLA (if there's less than 50 employees at YOUR LOCATION FMLA doesn't apply but the company may still follow those rules). I would talk to HR BEFORE maternity leave and just ask ALL the questions so you know your company's policies
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:43 AM on May. 30, 2009

• 30 days....I couldn't bring myself to go back for even that long and had to pay about 500.00 in insurance costs...
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

• it depends on your company.. I went back to work for a week, gave my two weeks notice, and they covered all my insurance bills... because I came back to work.. I would look at your company contract and go from there.. you can normally get them from HR>
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:30 PM on May. 30, 2009