Constipation

Does anyone Know which cereal is less constipating. I have given my daughter rice and barley cereal. She strained to have a BM after eating both of them. Also, I waited a week between giving her the rice and the barley. Any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• talk to your doc but what I have been told is to add 1 teas dark karo syrup per 2 ounces of formula 3 times a day and my son is 7 weeks.or you can add it to the cereal and in a few days she should be able to go. Basically the cereal and formula/breast milk combo is like cement and sugar makes them able to go. also if she is past 4 months you can give 2 ounces a day of prune juice but again ask doc because I dont know your particular child(allergies ect) but it worked wonders for us. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:11 PM on May. 30, 2009

• white rice is constipating; brown rice is not.
    many nutritionists are recommending skipping cereal as babys' first food, and starting with a bit of soft avocado mashed with breastmilk or formula.
    Remember, doctors generally don't know much about nutrtion, so you need to educate yourself.
    www.superbabyfood.com has great info, and you should be able to find the book at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

• How old is baby? It can be a sign that her gut is not yet ready for cereal. If she is under 6 months you may want to stop the cereal all together for a while.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• oh my gosh please dont tell another mom that her doc doesnt know about her babies nutrition! thats really irresponsible. all a pediatrician does is work with babies and kids, do you honestly believe he or she doesnt know about what to feed them?how would you feel if she fed her baby avocado had an allergic reaction(because babies are NOT supposed to have avocado until after 1 yr I just looked it up) and died or got sick? please be careful what you say to people...
    Anonymous

• if they are recommending other food besides cereal why is it that there is still so much and so many varieties in the baby food section...yet no avocado? I read aslo that certain fruits and veggies like avocados are for older babies. I have never ever heard that cereal is "on the way out",and I would think if they discovered that something was not the best for a babies system doctor would be the first to know.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:45 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Never give a child under the age of 1 Karo Syrup or honey. If it is bad, your LO will end up in the hospital with infant botulism. Your LO will live in the hospital between 2 months and about 6 months. If it is a bad case, she will be intubated because her lungs will quit working. She won't be able to move a muscle until her body repairs the damaged nerve endings or new ones are created. My ds was hospitalized for infant botulism for 2 months when he was 5 months old. The pediatricians, neurologists, attending physician's visits, and labs, NJ feeding tubes, x-rays, labs, laxatives, room, and board cost close to $150,000. If it was bad enough (life or death situation), the hospital would have had to have vial of altered blood flown in. That would have been an additional $40,000. Thankfully, he had a mild case. He could have had to stay there for about 6 months if it was the worse case.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:57 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I find oatmeal is a little less constipating than rice. I haven't tried barley.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 1:18 AM on May. 31, 2009