Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting in home childcare

I am wanting to start up an in home childcare service but dont know where to begin. I am a sahm to my 6 month old son. I have never done this professionally before but have watched many kids in the past, friends and relatives kids. Do you think it will be hard to find parents who are not looking for someone with a background in this?? What should I charge?? i live in kentucky.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • oh def parents will use you. What i think you should do is post something in the paper....and just say i am a parent and im wanting to start at home childcare and treat kids the same as i treat my own. give the times you want.....and most people charge around a 100 a week around here.....i got lucky and went somewhere that charge 55 a week. But, anyway........a 100 a week is more average i think. Ecspecailly if you do a cariculum. You know, do some learning things...thats important...cause they do at you want to compete with them

    Answer by angie_david at 12:03 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • First, you need to find out how to get licensed and insured.

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • You need to make sure you can operate a daycare from your home. Do you own or rent? You need to contact the state to get licensed as its against the law to run an unlicensed daycare. You need to have them inspect your home and you need to childproof it. Make sure you have age appropriate toys for the age group you want. If your going to start one you need to do it the right way so you don't end up in trouble for running a business out of your home without a license. You need to get learning activities together along with art supplies and other educational tools. Build a lesson plan ahead of time on what you plan on doing and make a schedule. Draw up contacts for how and when you will be paid. Get permission slips ready for medical care just incase, and travel slips so you can take them out. You also need a meal plan and a list of what you expect the parents to bring. In home centers range from 90 to 150 a week.

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • hmm yea the license would help you get business....but you dont have to have one....or in my area you dont. My twin sister also watches kids and she doesnt have one. So, idk. She lives in Texas. She is also a Cafemom if you need to know anything let me know and i can give you here name

    Answer by angie_david at 12:13 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • brailynsmama- very good answer......thats about right...thats how a daycare runs. She should def take your suggestions.

    Answer by angie_david at 12:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • You do have to have a license to start a daycare, it is illegal to watch kids from more than 1 family, if your only watching children from 1 family then you don't need a license, but since you want to watch multiple children you need a license. Also you have to get a business license and you have to own your home, if you rent then you cannot do it. Some states require you to go to school for 6 months before starting a daycare, you also have to get license to do CPR on infants and toddlers, it only takes about 3 weeks to get this, you also have to have someone come and inspect your home for safety. You have to create a fire scape out of your home and post it where everyone can see it. Also everyone who lives in the home has to get certain shots. You do have to supply all the food and diapers for the children that will be coming but you send your reciepts and they refund your money(the state does). Good luck!

    Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:46 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • We charge $30 a day for toddlers and $35 for infants a day, we also have an hourly rate for parents who only bring their children 2 times a week. We do have a contract so if I were you I would make a contract saying they pay you for holidays, they have to pay for the full week even if one day they do not bring their children. This is how it works and the parents are fine with the contracts. It really helps to avoid any confusion.

    Answer by VasquezFamily at 12:48 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • Once u get licensed u will want to make a schedual breakfast/outdoor play/snack/nap/lunch/brush teeth/etc. for the parents interested to look at. Make sure u make a guideline for how cold/warm that u will let the kids out. You will of course need several toys check on craigslist there are things up there all the time for cheap.Some extra clothing in all sizes for if/when a parent forgets a jacket extra pants etc. Cubby holes or lockers for each child would be helpful so it will be easier to not mix up their items. Plaes for the children to sleep at nap time. What the parents should bring themselves sunscreen, bugspray, tooth brushes, etc. There is a lot that goes into this and as the above posters mention check out all the stuff w/ the state so u do not get into trouble. Hope all goes well :)

    Answer by Mel30248 at 1:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • I think every state is different on the illegal, legal issue with the license. Where I live if you watch more than three that are not related to you then you need a license (the children can be from different families). Look at this website that I found - it looks like it would be helpful to you.

    Answer by JamieLK at 2:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.