What novels do your children (or you when you were that age) love? For kids around 9-10 years old...

I am teaching 4th grade next year and would love ideas for what books to buy.

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 12:21 PM on May. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dd is 9 and going into 4th grade and is now reading the Judy Bloom books and still likes the Ramona series. And her new favorites are the Bunnicula series. I'm trying to get her to read more advanced books. She's a strong reader but insists on sticking to books below her reading level because they are easy (she's into these fairy books...there are several series that are at a 2nd grade level).
    At that age I was reading books meant for older kids so I don't know what to suggest. I read all the Judy Bloom books at that age. My favorite book at that age was The Bridge to Terabithia. Stuart Little was another favorite and James and the Giant Peach (which I stole from my cousin because he didn't want to read it...he was 2 years older then me).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:53 PM on May. 30, 2009

• hmmm, i dont have kids that age but my friends kids really liked the harry potter novels. And so do adults. So maybe you can do that? or do you need books that are soemthing they can learn from?
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 12:29 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have the Harry Potter books available in my classroom, but I don't read them with the kids because some parents at my school think the subject matter (witchcraft) is unChristian and have complained about teachers reading them aloud or requiring kids to read them. I have them if kids choose to read them, but I won't require them to out of respect for their parents.

Thanks for the suggestion though. They are realy great books.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:33 PM on May. 30, 2009

• As far as books they can learn from.... they learn from all books. I'm not looking for anything to cover specific content, just books the kids will enjoy reading.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 12:34 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My son is 10, 4th grade & he loves Magic Tree House. There are also a lot of similar adventure type books out there. Beverley Cleary books are always popular. Babysitters Club books were really popular about 15 years ago but you can still find them & they were my favorites at that age. Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew mysteries are still out there as well & they are still fun even 40 years later (buy the classic stories, not the new ones). The Wind in the Willows, Charlotte's Web, Alice in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty--the classic children's novels are a bit much for the typical 4th grader but they love the stories & they are beautiful to read aloud & your advanced readers could handle them (I could at that age but my son can't quite yet). Jannette Oak is a Christian fiction writer who wrote many books for children--they aren't "Christian" per se, but charming moral animal based stories. Have fun!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:48 PM on May. 30, 2009

• While my dd isn't in that age range (she's 7 almost 8) she's reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and is enjoying it. She read the Magic Tree House books and liked them too. She'll probably read Indian in the Cupboard or Stuart Little next. They have some great ideas on the Barnes and Noble website and some of the reviews are from kids or parents and how their kids liked it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I remember liking The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Stuart Little, The secret Garden, Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Call of the Wild, Light in the Forest, Then Again Maybe I Won't, Super Fudge and anything Ramona Quimby. But I loved to read and was reading very well bay that age so I don't know what age they would normally be read at.
    Anonymous