did you switch to table foods and start potty training eariler because of the economy?

I noticed that some mothers are saying they switched to cloth diapers to save money, some make baby wipes out of paper towels with baby bath soap, use zip baggies to make their own cookie and snack travel packs. Some moms are potty training eariler or switching to regular milk instead of staying on formula. Are you finding yourself cutting back or doing things eariler than you normally would have?

booyah_liz

Asked by booyah_liz at 12:25 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter started table food at 5 months and we did it because she refused all baby food. She still gets formula and we are starting to slowly add milk to things and she is 8.5 months old. We still use disposable diapers and wipes but we buy the cheap wipes and luv's diapers or white cloud when we can find them around here. We save money by feeding her what we eat and everything else we just have to suck up as I don't see her going to the bathroom anytime soon. I know a lot of people who are exactly the way you described and they are miserable trying to cut corners all the time and frustrated with how much more work it all is.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:28 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Thankfully, we are past the diapers stage & formula stage. But my niece was potty trained very early b/c my brother & SIL couldn't afford to keep her in diapers any longer. By some miracle, they got her trained really fast. It made me wonder why I dragged out the process so long with my kids. Maybe I should have just refused to buy more diapers!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Everyone keeps pushing me to potty train my son (especially my mom) but he's not ready yet! I only spend $32 a month on diapers. But I have cut back on buying snacks and other things until they are absolutely needed.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We didn't do jars of baby food, we went straight to table food. Oh and we switched to cloth diapers. I made most of them out of old receiving blankets and scraps of material I had hanging around.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:17 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I didn't do it because of the economy. I bought the diapers before DD even was born because I knew they were better for her skin, the environment, and would help potty train her faster. She's been potty trained for a year now and would have done it sooner but we moved a few times and she started daycare where other children still wore diapers. We didn't use jarred foods because I don't feel the need to make big companies rich when I can just as easily make it and know it's fresh. I can't believe some women would pull their kids off of formula early because it's cheaper to buy regular milk. I'm glad I was smart enough to breast feed.
    Anonymous

• OMG! Parents put snacks in zip loc bags instead of buying them? What a shame...
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:38 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We buy the mega packs of pampers and the mega packs of wipes but we have always done that b/c its cheaper. I do make an effort to try and not waste food so I put leftover veggies peas/corn in the fridge for the next meal/day. We are very lucky that even though the economy is down my BF has the best job right now, he works in a quarry making cement and that is what the government is trying to do to boost the economy fix up roads etc. so we're actually making more money but I wish everyone else was too :(
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:32 PM on May. 30, 2009