Mormon Moms please answer a few Q's for me

I am looking into the LDS church, and trying to learn more about it.

I love coffee and chocolate. Can you really not have them?

Will I be frowned upon for not being married and having a child?

We want to get married but not yet, will we be pressured?

If I became pregnant before we married would we not be allowed to attend church?

Do you home school or public school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always thought Mormons and LDS were seperate religions. Am I wrong?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:47 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I thought mormons are the poepl that the guys have more than one wife??? or WHat religon is it?
    Anonymous

• Mormons are members of the Latter-Day Saint church. There's another branch (fundamental???) that is much more extreme and allows polygamy.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:51 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I'm not LDS but I can answer a few of these. LDS stands for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints & it is the Mormon church--they are the same thing. The LDS church officially spoke against plural marriage many years ago. The Fundamentalist Mormon church still believes in it & they are the ones you see in the news all the time. That branch is broken off from the LDS church & are not supported by it. Caffeine is considered bad for you & most Mormons will not eat or drink it. I don't know the answers to the marriage questions. I know marriage is encouraged so you will probably feel some pressure & I'm not sure if you could join the church until you are married as you sound like you are living together which I believe is frowned upon. I'm sure some LDS home school but I attended public high school with many LDS kids. They did have special religion classes before school at the church.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:53 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Mormons and Latter Day Saints are the same religion. A few hundred years ago, Joseph Smith stated that he was visited by the Angel Moroni who told him about the Latter Day Saints. There is a ton of details ---ask a Mormon. Now they do not allow polygamy. But still,there is an off-shoot , rebellious group who are practicing polygamy....having more than one wife. I think In Arizona and ,of course, that crazy bunch in Texas.
    Anonymous

• ANY Christian based faith will frown on your for living with your BF out of marriage AND having another child out of wedlock, that's the basis for Christianity, that sex is ONLY ok in the bonds of marriage. Ifyou want to be TRUE to the mormon faith, then yes you will give up coffee. As far as schooling goes, that depends on you. Personally I like the mormon faith, my best friend is LDS and she and her family are amazing, i'm not LDS, don't plan on being one either because I like my wine lol, and don't feel that anybody has a right to tell me that I can't drink it lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:00 PM on May. 30, 2009

• You will be encouraged to marry before baptizing as its a sin to live together.
    You will probably feel pressure to either marry or move to different spots til you marry and not cohabitate(aka have sex). Sex outside of marriage is not acceptable.
    You should talk to missionaries and ask them what the ward you would go to is like. Some wards are very welcoming to everyone while others frown upon unwed parents and you might get looks,etc.
    The missionaries can also answer your questions well, thats why they are out there(I was one LOL).
    Caffeine is part of the Word of Wisdom which basically is the what is and isnt good for your body stuff. Most avoid caffeine especially coffee or black tea(herbal is cool) but you will also find many who eat chocolate and drink soda(ya total oddball thing but thats the way it works LOL). Hot drinks is how its described in the Word of Wisdom...
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• which is why I think y ou find people avoid coffee and tea but not soda or chocolate.

If you want to be a fully active, gospel living member then there are things you must abide by. That includes abstaining from sex before you are married. Im sure there will be repentance talk for what you are doing currently and if you can stop that and follow the church teachings then all will be well.
    That will also allow you to marry in their temples for time and eternity, usually that is allowed a year after baptism...if you are following the gospel.
    Schooling is up to the person, some homeschool while others do public(my sisters and I did public).

You will ALWAYS be allowed to attend church even if you have "sinned". You may get looks(like I said before depends on the ward members) and you wont be allowed to take the sacraments until the repentence process is done but you can go to church meetings and such.

HTH a bit.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:24 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Amaranth pretty much answered all of your questions good, but I just wanted to add there is a great group on here LDS Moms that you are welcome to join. You can ask any questions and we'd all be happy to answer :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 4:18 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I love coffee and chocolate. Can you really not have them? - you can still have chocolate all day long.

Will I be frowned upon for not being married and having a child? - It's possible that could happen if you do it after you have been baptized. No one will be bothered by it all before baptism, and Ideally, members won't be judgemental, and love and befriend you no matter what even after.

We want to get married but not yet, will we be pressured? - yes, probably by the missionaries or church leaders. They're supposed to be loving and simply teach your our doctrines on marriage and invite you to live it.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 5:38 PM on May. 30, 2009