My 2 year old daughter heard some grown-ups saying some not-so-nice words and now she is saying them all the time. We don't talk like that around her or my son. I am at my wits end with this. We have tried everything and she keeps doing it. Please help!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

louisianamama75

Asked by louisianamama75 at 12:56 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well our son who just turned 2 over heard the S word and everytime he said it we just made up another word that sounded like it so then he caught on and started saying the other word. I think we would say chair and he finally just started saying chair instead of S***. It really worked you should try it, when she says it say "no it's not _______ it's _________" it should work because she doesn't know if she's saying it right or not.
    Anonymous

• I don't know, really. My kids are allowed to say shit or damn if they want/need to. Only at home. And it almost never ever happens. We took the fun away, I guess. lol
    Anonymous

• oh thats a good answer anonymous!!! Ill try that next time mine does it. But what i did, that did work...and im sure you tried this cause you said youve tried everything....My son is 4 and he all the sudden started saying Buttcrack....when he would say it i said, we dont say that word and if you say it again you will be put in time out.....and of course hed say it again, and you have to follow through and put them in time out....he did catch on. matter of fact, this morning he started to say it....he said bu....then he stopped and said something else. so he did know he wasnt supposed to say it and that he would be punished. or take something away that means more to them than time out.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:04 PM on May. 30, 2009

• oh yea, and i meant good answer to the anonymous that was the first answer....im not sure i agree with the second answer, lol. my luck it wouldnt work!!!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:06 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We totally ignore inappropriate words. We haven't had a problem with cursing, because our kid doesn't hear them, thankfully. (You can't help what others say - we've been lucky)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:06 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Give her something funny to say in replacement of the word. So instead of s*it say, no it's chip and then laugh like you've never laughed before. She'll like the attention from the positive reaction to the "funny" word
    Anonymous

• its a phase and will pass... right now they repeat what they hear and the sounds they like... my older son loved the words chicken and a$$... he said the word chicken for no good reason and a$$ as well, it lasted a month and then he moved on.... anyone with kids will not judge you on the fact you VERY young child cusses.... most of us have been there. We would do what anon did above did too and say, oh we use the word bum not a$$
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We taught our daughter at a very young age that there were bad words that should never be spoken around children. When one of those words is spoken around her, she gets a dollar.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:49 PM on May. 30, 2009