babies and fear

My 9 month old is acting terrified of certain things.. A baby Einstein book, a plush car that lights up and plays music, and a couple other strange things..
What age did your little ones show fear? What did you do?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:04 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont remember how old my son was, but SO was playing peek a boo with him. he crept around a corner, yelled BOO and our son jumped, shook, about had a panic attack and started crying! the only other time he freaked out was during a thunderstorm when lightening hit really close by and the thunder was extremely loud. Sid screamed and ran towards me.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:06 PM on May. 30, 2009

• well, my sons about to be 4...hes never really shown fear to much, but just here recently he started being terrified of us washing his hair....and hes never had a accident with water. I think it might be a control issue with him tho....like seeing what he can get away with. Of course i have to wash his hair...so i try to show him different things and just to prove its not going to hurt him. I give him options...like do you want to put a washcloth over your face while i pour the water, or do you want to rinse your hair by yourself, and so on. idk....
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 1:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• When my son was about 9 months he was calmly playing and looking at this toy train he had and all the sudden I think he noticed it had eyes drawn on it, he freaked out and threw it across the room. He would shriek any time he saw it. His other fear was the food processor, he would stiffen up and freak out when ever he saw or heard it even if it is wasn't on. I use to have to have my BF take him on a walk while I made his food, lately he's no really scared of it though. I've heard it's important to acknowledge your child's fear and not dismiss it as being silly or invalid. I got my son to stop being so afraid of the food processor by smiling, kissing and hugging the food processor. LOL I've also been giving him a piece of fruit after I have to use it so he associates it with something good. I don't know.. just an idea.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:44 AM on May. 31, 2009