What can cause dry skin on a two year old?

Its patches of dry flaky skin

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like it could be eczema. My son has that too. Mainly the patches are behind his knees and on his hips. You can try lotion. If that doesn't work he may need a cortisone cream. Talk to your Dr.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have it, so my kids have it. I dont think anything causes it. I just use good lotion to help it.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i agree with the thought it might be eczma my son it also. and so do i . i use the equate walmart version of dove body wash for my sons body.. and it has helped alot. plus the equate verison of cetaphil lotion and that has also helped alot..plus watch out for too much water exposure.. the pool the bath etc...anywy good luck!
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 3:16 PM on May. 30, 2009

• If it is eczema, you can use A+D ointment to help clear it up. My daughter breaks out behind her knees, and that stuff works every time. We apply it right after her baths. Be careful when using lotions that are scented. It could flare up worse.

Have you changed your laundry detergent brand? That can cause patches of dry skin too.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 4:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My son and I both have dry red bumpy skin on our arms. The doctor said it's a vitamin D deficiency. We increased our intake of vit. D and put lots of hypo-allergenic lotion on, and it did the trick! If it is eczema, Eucerin lotion works really well. My son had that as an infant but grew out of it.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 2:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2009