• In the Spotlight:

Can you recommend any educational summer activities?

I am looking for suggestions for the 2nd grader to ensure he enjoys his summer and that his mind doesn't turn to mush! He does well when I give him a goal (last summer he tried to read 100 books over the summer and it really motivate him.)

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on May. 30, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have been checking the local library calendar, local churches for VBS, and zoo camp. GL
    Anonymous

• Bowling, chess, poetry groups, etc.
    Check you parks and recreations for summer programs, or the YMCA.
    Attend theater plays.
    Volunteer at the food bank.

You can actually look into homeschool groups and join in on their summer activities. Most are educational and lots of fun. They rarely mind a public school student tagging along. Of course, if it's something you're totally against don't even bother, but it's a great alternative.

Anonymous

• here's a video game that is free and will let him practice his multiplication facts: Timez Attacks

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Ditto the library! Ours always has lots of fun things (and free!) for the kids. Last year my kids signed up for a summer reading program. Every 10 books they read, they got a prize! They loved it!

What about nature walks? I write a list of things for my girls to find and we go for a walk.

mrsDayne

Answer by mrsDayne at 9:54 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Our local library does camps even.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:18 AM on May. 31, 2009

• A lady in another group I'm in asked us all the send postcards from our area to her children one summer to collect and see where they all came from. I thought that was a great idea!
    RedHatLinda

Answer by RedHatLinda at 8:45 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Get library books on plant, flower and tree identification. Make a game of seeing how many plants, trees he can identify. My 3 year old Loves it!

dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 9:23 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Our area has tons of stuff (some which my kid is a year or two too young for) There are some science camps that last like a week for about $125 or something. There are different camp days where they learn things and do different activities at the local city history museum (they have like a pioneer day, Native American day, etc.). The library has a theme each year, with different activities and events certain days of the week. Look for local science and children's museums. I would also consider just nature walks (look for bugs, different plants/flowers, animals, etc.).
    Anonymous

• Science lesson...butterfly bugville...time 3 weeks..take pictures..really cool.
    Math facts...just google and do the research...
    zoo, nature walks...day at a park...swimming lessons...what about your child's school system...my kid's school offers summer school for all the kids. Mine will be attending. Join the library club. VBS can't go wrong there. Writing activity..keep a journal.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:14 PM on May. 31, 2009