Is it normal that my daughter likes to hit herself on her head with her hands or toys sometimes?

She hits herself really hard until it hurts. She is nine months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• so you know its hurting her? like she does it till she's crying in pain? only thing I could think of doing is telling her STOP and distract her with something else. my son doesnt do that with toys, but will bang his head on our sliding glass door or the table legs
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:24 PM on May. 30, 2009

• at 9 months i'd say its normal...if she is obviously hurting herself distract her somehow!

Next time she's at the docs, mention it as headbanging can be a sign of soemthing more serious. But i wouldn't worry too much, sh probably just enjoys the vibrations or the noise or something.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 3:13 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Like the PP mentioned, the vibration, I think, is what fascinates them. My friend gave me a book called 'What To Expect In The First Year' and it talked about this at about this age. It's the rhythmic motion, the sound, the vibration is what is keeping their attention.

Mine does this too. BUT she does not hurt her self. She might do it for a moment (some times longer than I think needs to go on), but always stops or is easily distracted. If your little one is hurting them self and STILL continues to do this hurtful thing, than, yes it needs to be brought to the doc. attention.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 7:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My dd's doctor told me that it's a way of coping... like dirtymonkey said, the vibrations calm and fascinate them. My dd did it for a while... now she's pulling her hair out!!!! But she's also 20mo old now too.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 8:58 PM on May. 30, 2009