my 1 year old is taking her diaper off everytime she goes 1 or 2...should i start trying to potty train her already?

for quite a while my daughter has kinda scratched or flicked at her diaper after she does anything in it, so we can always tell when she has gone. we knew that she was aware of something going on in her pants, but not really putting it all together yet. now, though, she's taking her diaper completely off when she goes either 1 or 2, like she's saying "ok, i did my thing in here, now let's get it off and get some fresh pants on." i never even thought about potty training a 1 year old, but she seems to be showing some signs of needing to start. she's always been pretty smart and ahead of what we've been told to expect. any advice????

melindamays

Asked by melindamays at 2:19 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes it sounds like a good time to start. Actually, from what I have seen/experienced it is easier for kids to learn before they are two yrs old. I would start by putting her on the potty when she gets up in the morning, if she "goes" let her know that was what you wanted & you are happy she did it. If she doesn't make sure she knows it isn't a big deal & you only need to be on the potty when you have to go (but it is a good idea to try). When she takes off her diaper after going say something like "next time maybe you can get to the potty before you get wet". The best advice I can give is to be relaxed about it, but treat it as an expectation, that you will expect her to get it. That way she doesn't feel negative feelings about the potty.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:25 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i would try getting her a potty chair and see how she reacts. We are potty training our daughter. She just turned 2. We've been working on it for about 5 months, We started out just letting her sit on the potty just to get a feel for it, now she is almost completely trained. All I can say is it won't hurt to try. If she is that smart she might catch on in no time. GOOD LUCK!!
    Anonymous

• you can try. I also find it easier before they are 2 although i started before they were 2 lol my oldest was fully trained by 19 months i have a almost 17 month old dd now that we are working on now and she does really good at it too
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:32 PM on May. 30, 2009

• my daughter does the same thing so I tried showing her and now she's totally into putting tp into the toilet and flushing. She's never peed on potty, instead she goes right for the carpet when she has to go and comes back and SHOWS me what she did. Shes 18 mo! I would try with yours...get the potty seat and see how she does! gl!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:56 PM on May. 30, 2009

• im doin that and hes 13 months
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:20 PM on May. 30, 2009