How can i get my son to eat something besides french fries and fish sticks?

I have a 7 year old son with poor eating habits. Just the past couple of years he hasn't been eating right. He used to eat anything I put in front of him. But now all he will eat is french fries, fish sticks, or chicken nuggets from McDonald's. I don't know what to do anymore. I try to get him to try new things but he screams bloody murder and cries. He is also anemic and im scared is going to get ill. Can someone please help me. Thanks

shannabates1

Asked by shannabates1 at 2:41 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Stop buying the things he will eat and put healthy foods in front of him. If he screams (a 7yo should not be allowed to pitch a fit!) take the food away. Give him more food at the next mealtime that is healthy. Grilled chicken, lean beef, veggies not cooked in meat fats, fruits in their natural state (not "fruit snacks"), whole grains (not including cereal boxes that say whole grains but are packed with sugar or high fructose corn syrup), and water to drink are the types of things you should be offering. He cannot eat McD's if you don't buy McD's. He cannot only eat fish sticks and fries if you don't serve them. You are his dietitian and his nutritionist. If you train him to eat healthy foods he will. If you allow him to manipulate you into feeding him junk he will eat that. As for the anemia, an iron supplement would correct that while he's learning to eat correctly.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:57 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with GrowingMama. You are the parent. Stop buying him crap food. If all you have are healthy eating options then that's what he's going to eat.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:37 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Are you kidding? why are you feeding him those foods? He should be eating fruits, vegetables; whole grains, beans.And you should be eating healthy foods to set a good example &to live long enough to be a grandmother.
    Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & marinara sauce.
    I have a ton of healthy, tasty, budget friendly recipes. I can list some;contact me for recipes.
    noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    bean patties with avocado
    veggie pot pie
    lentil tacos
    sweet potato & black bean burritos
    sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get toast with peanut butter& honey with an apple

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 PM on May. 30, 2009

• For the anemia, you need to combine iron rich foods (beans, dark greens, etc.) with vitamin C foods (tomato, citrus, etc.). The vitamin C will increase the absorption of the iron. Make a smoothie with frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks (great use for the clearance bananas), orange juice, yogurt and kale. The kale is loaded with calcium and iron, the juice has vitamin C and the banana masks the flavor of the kale.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on May. 30, 2009

• It's not like he's getting iron from those other foods. Stop giving him that crap. and offer good healthy food until he eats it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• All the above are good I agree at some point you have to put your foot down and not let him dictate what should go in his body..but if youd like him to be more receptive to change you can try letting him help cook his own food this instill pride in your child and he'll love watching you and your family eat a meal he helped prepare and also offer him healthier versions of the foods he likes, like veggie burgers, baked strips of sweet potatoes that mimick french fires and grilled chicken strips in substution of chicken nuggets, fun foods such as ants on a log, my daughter loves and offering healthy lite dips with cut up veggies are also intreguiging to little ones...almost all kids are picky but the key is using a little trickery and making the experience of trying new things a good thing and not a punishment.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 7:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i agree with every on else. He's 7. not a baby. so he'll be stuborn until he gets hungry enough to eat the good food. YOU are the parent. YOU are the boss. do not let a child rule the roost
    3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 8:51 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I don't agree. ALL children go through phases where they only eat certain foods for weeks at a time. I don't believe in forcing kids to eat something or not eat something. You can offer him different foods and tell him that he has to take 2 bites of everything before he gets anything else. Think about how you would feel if you are forced to eat foods that you don't like. Also, some kids will starve themselves before eating something they don't want or like. Food should never be used as a punishment or reward. He will outgrow the phase, my son did and he is healthy and happy. He also doesn't "rule the roost" . As for the anemia, he could get that even eating healthy. Take him to the doctor and ask what can be done for your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:20 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Give him healthy meals and let it go at that. He won't go for very long without eating. He's a 7 year old boy and you're the adult. Let him scream. You fixed his meal, he needs to eat it. You're not a short order cook. (at least I don't think you should be one)

IF he's anemic, what is the doctor having you do for it?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:21 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I'm assuming that he is not doing any of the cooking in your house. Right? Don't take him to McDonald's & don't buy french fries & fish sticks! Let him get hungry for a couple days. He'll eat real food. Kids will not let themselves starve.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:33 AM on May. 31, 2009