Is yogurt ok for 7mo old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Whole fat yogurt is, but not the low fat stuff we typically eat. Stoneyfield Farms makes great baby yogurt that is made from whole milk. If your little one already eats some fruits you can get the fruit flavors they offer. The plain is pretty bitter, but it can be mixed into other foods you feed your child in smaller amounts to cover the bitterness. The yogurt is very good for their digestive tract just like with adults.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• yes, my baby loved yogurt! I always got the bryers with the fruit on the bottom. Not the fat free kind. yuck!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

• no dairy for AT LEAST 12 mos
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Not all docs agree with NO dairy -- yogurt can be digested well before plain milk... my doc recommended plain whole milk yogurt at 7-8 months mixed with fruit purees.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I've been giving my son how is now 9 months old yo baby yogurt since about 7 months old... We started because he had thrush and he liked it so we just kept feeding it to him....His doc reccommended it to us cause we were having a lot of troble getting rid or the thrush so he thought it might help...
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 4:42 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I gave all of my kids yougurt from about 5-6 months on. Just the regular old yogurt from the store. Dairy is FINE before 12 months, cheese and cottage cheese makes great snacks. Yogurt also contains active cultures which are great for digestion and for diarrea. Also if your baby is prone to yeast infections yogurt will help with that.
    5isenoughforme

Answer by 5isenoughforme at 6:11 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food, and it is best to hold off on it before baby turns one. I know that many moms will tell you that they gave their infant wheat and dairy and chocolate and they were fine. There are smokers who never get cancer, that doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause cancer.
    I believe in being conservative when it comes to health issues.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on May. 30, 2009

• The protein that commonly causes an allergy in babies that is found in milk is NOT present in the yogurt in the same form. That's why milk is recommended after 12 months, but yogurt is safe sooner. It's not the same as smokers who don't get cancer... I've had two different very competent, very informed, pro-breastfeeding doctors (from different states) suggest plain yogurt at 9 months. They follow the APA guidelines.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:59 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My dd loved it and still does. She was eating yogurt at about 6-7mo old.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 8:55 PM on May. 30, 2009