Looking for activities for my 3yr old.

Hi. I was just laid off a couple of weeks ago. My daugher has been in pre-school/childcare. So this is a big change for both of us. I am looking for inexpensive things we can do to keep both of us busy and get us out of the house. Any ideas?

robbinmichele

Asked by robbinmichele at 3:02 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Look for a playgroup in your area. Check with local churches for starters. Go to story times at the library. They usually have a special pk time at ours. I think most do. Go to the local parks most any day and you'll find other moms and children there. If there is a family friendly bowling center in your area, that is fun even at a young age and you'll get exercise playing along. Skating is another that is available during the summer. There are lots of indoor play facilities in most areas too. You pay a fee and play for a certain length of time. It's usually about $5 or so. At home some great and inexpensive things to have on hand are playdoh (keeps them busy for hours), crayola paints and lots of paper to create on, and some outdoor water toys for the summer. You could also make some flower gardens together - let her help with the dirt and watering. Learn a new hobby while she plays alongside you. Just make sure to have fun!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:30 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Libraries have books to read and usually have activiites for young children. Parks have all sorts of activities. Farmers markets are fun. Museums usually have free days, or your library may have passes that you can check ou. If you are in Chicago, send me a message and I will send you a list of great stuff.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Find a recipe for Salt Play Dough and make different colors. Then you can use cookie cutters; roll out do and make shapes for fun. My mom let my boy play with cookie dough; he was content for an HOUR! Also, let her have a pair of toddler scissors and teach her how to use them, and show her that it is only ok to cut the paper that Mommy has given her...
    Carrie131

Answer by Carrie131 at 12:51 PM on May. 31, 2009