Poll: Majority of Americans Want a Check on Obama’s Agenda. You opinion?

A majority of Americans say they would vote for a Republican member of Congress in order to provide a check and balance to President Obama’s agenda, according to a new poll.

The poll by McLaughlin & Associates shows that by a 51-41 margin the respondents prefer a check on Obama’s agenda, a 17-point reversal from January when a poll by the same firm showed a 47-40 preference for having more Democrats in Congress in order to help Obama.

The biggest drop came among Democrats as 75% said they want to help Obama pass his agenda, versus 86% in January. Among Republicans, support for more Democrats in Congress fell 4 points from 10% to 6%.

http://www.mclaughlinonline.com/lib/sitefiles/Obama_Check-Balance_Memo_0520.pdf

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:08 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm not going to vote for Republican just because we need to stop our current President agenda. I'm voting on issues what are important to me.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 3:13 PM on May. 30, 2009

• You opinion?

**Your Opinion** :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Ok, Tristana what's your opinion on the shift in numbers in this poll? More Americans think he needs to be held in "check" on his agenda that they did when he was elected? Even Democrats polled. Why do you think they have had a change in opinion?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:17 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I don't believe polls. Sure we need to have 'check "on his actions but the same time all the people in Congress need to start to do their job too.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 3:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• For all the good it will do I am probably going to vote against the incumbent in congressional elections for awhile regardless of party, we need to send them all home and start fresh. 

I do believe we do better as a nation when there is a balance of power but before the election thought we needed a Dem majority to fix Bushco's disaster. Now I see that the Dems wasted no time going on their power trip and I am disgusted by the lot of them.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:53 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I'm a democrat, and I believe that it is vitally important that President Obama is NOT surrounded by yes men and women. Just like I don't want someone voting against him just because of party affiliation, I don't want someone voting with him for the same reason. Each and every person elected to office should vote for what they believe is best for their constituents .

gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 3:58 PM on May. 30, 2009

• ok polls are fulla ****, but i do agree that this country is headed in the WRONG direction people. i dont need to CHECK his agenda i KNOW his agenda; snoop around you never know what you will find.....
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 4:03 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I am not surprised, but I am feeling a little encouraged by the numbers. They are headed in the right direction (the numbers, not Obushma's policies).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:28 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Obushma... Love it!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:29 PM on May. 30, 2009

• This brings to light why the Coleman / Franken thing is so incredibly important. Without being able to filibuster, the country's best interest isn't protected. It will be one power grab after another, much like it already has been.

Anonymous