If Rowe v. Wade was overturned, should the women who have illegal abortions be punished?

And if so, what should that punishment be?

Groovy-flor

Asked by Groovy-flor at 4:01 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If RvW was overturned, abortion would still be legal. There just wouldn't be a blanket law covering the entire country. When RvW was passed, abortion was legal - California had a law more lax that was overriden by RvW along with the states that has anti-abortion laws. And the same would be true today. Much like gay marriage - legal in some states, not in others. The only reason a woman would have an illegal abortion is if she was unable to transport herself to a state where it was legal, and in doing so, it would be a state crime, not a federal murder charge.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:08 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Wouldn't it be punishment enough to expose themselves to hacks, and unhygienic conditions simply because they want control of their bodies?

gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 4:04 PM on May. 30, 2009

• It won't be overturned. We have had a few Republican presidents in office since R v. W, and not a darned thing has changed. Stop trying to fear monger.
    Anonymous

• Sure and the number of females who did that years ago was highly exagerrated for the pro abortion cause.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:05 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I don't think it would ever be overturned. I have no problem with people choosing to have an abortion. I don't want the government funding any part of it, counsel (domestic and abroad), etc... To each their own, but keep taxpayer money out of it.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:08 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I doubt it would ever be overturned but a political candidate being pro life still means something to me.As fpr hypothetically then of course they should be because it would be breaking the law.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:08 PM on May. 30, 2009

• What the prisons aren't already over crowded enough for you? Maybe you could let some rapists and child molesters out so that women who've had abortions could do their time.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Actually, I know someone who's mother died after she tried to force her body to abort. This was of course before Roe vs. Wade. And this woman, who is now in her mid 30's never knew her mother, all because she didn't want to have another child.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 4:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Agree grly that taxpayers should not be forced to pay for abortions.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:10 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I guess it's not good enough grly that it is legal and even 13 yr olds can get one without parental knowledge but we also have to be forced to contribute via our tax dollars for them.:eye roll:
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:15 PM on May. 30, 2009